carolina skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carolina skiff

does anyone know much about a carolina skiff, how dry they run, how rough they are etc.

Depends on what size and model, but most are rough riding and wet!
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

2x

Comment

mines wet and rough
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

I drove one for a couple of months in Florida on the BP Oil Spill project. It was a 24' that had the bottom somewhat like a Boston Whaler and it was sooth riding, handled well at speed and in turns and was very dry. My boat had a 150 hp E-Tec and would make just over 45mph on the gps. I really liked driving the boat but it would not run as shallow as the flat bottomed Carolina Skiffs. I think that they are a great buy for a pretty good boat.

In the pictures there is a 24' flat bottom CS and a picture of me (master of the universe) in the new style CS
          Attached Files
          Last edited by RonE; October 17, 2010, 04:31 PM.
          Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

I've got a 17DLX and it's not wet like the J styles are. It's not rough unless it's really choppy. If it is, I just slow down a little. I love my CS.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

21dlx

I had a 21DLX for over 8 years. It was a little rough but not a wet ridding boat unless you had very strong cross winds. Built like a battle wagon and drafted little water. Low maintenance and easy to clean. Great all around family, bay, near shore, and ski/cruzing barge... Extremely economical!

Comment

I just bought a 16J CC 25 horse 4 stroke yamaha 2 weeks ago and love it. I refer to it as my fancy jon boat. Choppy is rough so slow down, choppy with hard cross wind is wet so bring a towel if you don't like it.
                Great 2 man boat for the price.
                I started off with a 16 ft jon boat in the '70s, had a 18 ft Larson Lapline cruiser in the '80s, a 19 ft Sea Ray in the '90s, 24 ft Chris Craft in the '00s and now it's the '10s so I started over with the skiff. Now if I could just catch a fish

Dave

Comment

We have a 2001 21' it is not wet or rough. We love it. Lots of room, can run super shallow and we take it out in the surf , bay, anywhere.

Comment

Well said!

Originally posted by Mrschasintail View Post
                    We have a 2001 21' it is not wet or rough. We love it. Lots of room, can run super shallow and we take it out in the surf , bay, anywhere.

Comment

Oh...and....it's pushed with a 90HP Yamaha. Yes 90HP. We cannot keep up with AP, but she rides plenty fast.

Comment

I have owned two and loved them both
                        (21 & 24)

They used to be one of my clients in Georgia, so I had toured the factory a few years ago ..... I know alot about them, shoot me a PM with any questions
                        FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

It's all in the conditions it's being used. I have gotten wet in my 24' offshore cubby cab. Twice I was about 16 miles out on the hump when the weather turned bad and had to ride in 8 to 10' seas with a hard eastern cross wind and got splashed every time the bow pointed down. By the time I got back to Freeport my whole right side was covered in salt. My cloths were liderally white from salt. Of course I would never get wet in the bay though.
                          I was out in the 16J last Sunday, choppy with SW gusts. Heading out towards Halls it wasn't bad at all but the closer I got the choppier it was. I aborted that idea and decided to go back to Lost. As soon as I came about and headed north it was splash, splash coming over my port side and yea, I got wet. I had to slow down to stop it.
                          But I still love the boat, this little thing is cool...
                          Now if I can just catch a dang fish

Dave

Comment

thanks for the info, now does anyone know where to find one, 19 -21 ish, and i would prefer just the hull, or powered. I kinda want to rig it myself though. thanks again for all the information. tm

Comment

I love my Carolina Skiff 258 DLV. It can't take huge waves but it can get me just about anywhere I want to go... Perfect for the jetties.. Wide, stable, dependable with my Suzuki 150 4-Stroke. Easy on and off the trailer... and lots of room for two... LOL
                              Attached Files
                              "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
                              "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Comment

Working...
                              X