Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kayak Fisherman on Board!

Hi!
    I'm new to kayaking but not new to fishing. I bought a OK Drifter from Academy on the island last week but have yet to make a test run in it. Looking for some others on the island who might want to link up as soon as the wind dies down. I have fished all over the island but not in a kayak. The 8 mile oyster reef/ pier might be a good place to launch. I was out there last friday and talked to a kayaker there who said he was having pretty good luck around there. Anyone know if South Deer Island is any good?

Welcome! I have had some good days at S. Deer Island and many good spots in that area. There are a lot of yakers on here so ask any questions you may have.

Comment

Hey good to have another yakker on the team

I have fished the SR area quite a bit.

Launching on the end of 8mile will put you on the E. side of confederate, and will put you a medium paddle away from some good reefs in the middle of the bay.

To fish confederate and S. deer, I like to launch at the ramp halfway down SR. Very quick paddle to get there. Alot of good guts between the visible part of confederates, and S. Deer.

Launching at the end of SR will put you near some bayou drains and grassy shorelines. There is a nice reef off the N. side of the island.

I fish the last two launches mostly, but I've been meaning to hit up those mid-bay reefs near Offats sometime.

Hit me up sometime if you want to slime up that new yak. I'm on the island and always down for some fishing.
      Or launch at the end of SR. Some good bayou drains, grassy shoreline, and a reef off the N. end of the island.

I fish the last two launches mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by charleybob View Post
        Hi!
        I'm new to kayaking but not new to fishing. I bought a OK Drifter from Academy on the island last week but have yet to make a test run in it. Looking for some others on the island who might want to link up as soon as the wind dies down. I have fished all over the island but not in a kayak. The 8 mile oyster reef/ pier might be a good place to launch. I was out there last friday and talked to a kayaker there who said he was having pretty good luck around there. Anyone know if South Deer Island is any good?
        Charleybob!

8 Mile / Sportsman Rd is a great launching point for any kayaker or walk-in wader. The reef your speaking of is named Confederates Reef. There are have been some good reports about fish holding on the backside of the reefs and also in the mud slicks where the oyster boats are working.
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
        X