10-15,16,17-2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-15,16,17-2010

Friday I headed to SLP with mild winds and green water . On the way I stopped on the beach side to check it out...the surf was so flat . I saw a lot of pelicans and gulls feeding close in , so , I scrambled out and got in the surf . I fished 45 minutes without a hookup , then went to the bay side opposite the toll booth and put in the kayak . I ranged all over trying to learn the guts and find any sweet spots . This was the 3 rd time I fished the area since Ike . I had my hand held GPS to put in points of interest , like gut ends , areas where it goes from deep to shallow , bends in a gut , dropoffs , and the such . I found a sweet spot I had been to before where a deep gut curves and necks down and gets shallower then deepens again . I got some flounder there , 2 were keepers . The tide was outgoing and I saw flounder busting the surface when I first got there in the shallows of the noth side of the first gut as you go out .
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Continued

Saturday , I went with a friend to the Anahuac Wildlife Refuge . No wind and fog early . Outgoing tide and good water . Went up a bayou and caught a boat load of rat reds , small trout and some croaker .
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Continued

I certainly got my rod bent , but keepers were hard to come by .
      Attached Files

Comment

Continued

I managed one keeper red and two keeper trout out of the bunch .
        Attached Files

Comment

Continued

On the way back and near where I launched , there were gulls diving in 2 feet of water . I keep getting short strikes on plastic , so , I put on a spoon and racked in small reds , trout , sand trout , and croakers . No keepers .
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice report and pics.congrats
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Continued

Sunday , I went to GISP and fished around Dana Cove area . The morning was calm but the water level was low . The water was only about 3 feet max in the middle of Dana . The tide was outgoing , so , I went to a geotube cut where a bayou was emptying out and got in 4 feet of clean water and hammered small reds and trout .
              Attached Files

Comment

END

I managed 2 keeper trout there , then moved just outside of the geotubes in 5 feet of water . Caught a few more there including a 3 rd keeper trout and a nasty gafftop . I fished up the bayous and close to the grass without results . The water was off color and low back there due to the water movement . Fished around for flounder but surprisingly didn't get a hit fishing better water around the geotubes next to the boat channel to Lake Como . Boy , was this old guy sore and tired after fishing 3 days in a row . I'm ready for more now , though !!
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like I was not the only one that fished all weekend. Except u got an extra day than me. Thanks for the report, like always enjoy the pics. I think u need someone to go with u to get u in some action shots.

Comment

Well, you mentioned wanting to fish SLP sometime and I offered to give it a go with you sometime . Next time I go to SLP with the kayak, I'll PM you .

Comment

Sounds good with me. If all works well then we can make it happen

Comment

Awesome report as usual!!

Comment

NIce report and great reports. Plugger, what size jigheads are you using?

Comment

Wow Henry! I'm tired just thinking about all that paddling... Great weather and you had some good fishing, glad to see you are getting on the water.
                            http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Nice report and pics Plugger!!
                              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X