10-23-2010 east matagorda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-23-2010 east matagorda

Friday , I fished with SNEEKYPETE . He lured me to do some night fishing stating that we just might find some big trout laid up under the full moon . He said be at the Sargent boat ramp at 3 AM . I awoke at midnight and left at 12 :45 AM , not wanting to be late . I arrived at the ramp at 2 :15 AM , had my truck parked , gear ready , waders and jacket on , and my boga grip attached to my wade belt in anticipation of lipping my best trout to date when he rolled up . Off we went , speeding through the dark to the south shoreline . We jumped out and waded several spots , hurling topwaters , mainly , into the distant blackness . The anticipation was high for an unseen toilet flush and the felt weight suddenly on the rod as it loaded up . Sunrise found us in a bayou still waiting for anything to attach itself to the end of our line . As soon as it was light , we started to get some activity . Rick caught a rat red and I landed a barely keeper trout on a Hedog .
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Continued

We moved from one spot to another . We had some off and on little showers in the morning . The shoreline held really decent water compared to the chocolate milk stretching from 100 yards from the shore to the north shoreline from the 20 MPH wind . We stuck a few rat reds , but no trout .
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Nice report. Its fun out there with sneekypete whether you catch anything or not.

Comment

Continued

SNEEKYPETE has an eagle eye for tailing reds . He was like a long billed crane stealthly creeping forward , neck stretched out , spotting tailing reds . He'd cast out a bass assassin in front of a pod and wait until it approached , then pop it up and he was on . He'd range the shoreline doing this and ended up with 4 keeper reds and numerous rat reds . Working farther out , he picked up a keeper trout on a sand patch . We had just pulled up to another place and got out , when he spotted some gulls working and no other boats around . We piled back into the boat and made a cautious drift toward them . We cast out and he promptly hooked a hapless gull . I hooked up a trout , but it was too small . While I was digging the hook out of the fish in the front of the boat , there was a lot of thrashing and cussing from the stern of the boat as Rick fought to free the bird . While he was untangling the mess , I caught a small keeper trout . Another boat arrived and spooked off the birds . We fished on but had no more hook ups , and we left for the shore . Not long after , Rick said he had a nice red on . Then he said , wait it doesn't feel like a red , more like a stingray . Sure enough , he had hooked a ray and he slogged to the shore with a good one foot across ray foaming the water behind him .
        Attached Files

Comment

Continued

Rick hooking up a red .
          Attached Files

Comment

Continued

Another red , but , too small .
            Attached Files

Comment

Continued

I think SNEEKYPETE even had Devine intervention as the heavens opened up and pointed the way to tailing reds .
              Attached Files

Comment

Continued

At one of our last stops , I hooked 2 keeper reds back to back at the mouth of a drain popping a Gulp chartruse shad off the bottom . At 5:30 PM when headed back to the launch .
                Attached Files

Comment

Continued

We worked hard for 15 and a half hours on a tough day to get what we got .
                  Attached Files

Comment

END

Still , a great day of fishing with a great fisherman . We had a blast . Thanks , Rick !!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                      Still , a great day of fishing with a great fisherman . We had a blast . Thanks , Rick !!
                      Wish i could have went sneaky but had the wake to go to. We had 300-350 there so it was worth it to pay tribute to a great friend.Lets go get em again soon!!
                      Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                        SNEEKYPETE has an eagle eye for tailing reds . He was like a long billed crane stealthly creeping forward , neck stretched out , spotting tailing reds . He'd cast out a bass assassin in front of a pod and wait until it approached , then pop it up and he was on . He'd range the shoreline doing this and ended up with 4 keeper reds and numerous rat reds . Working farther out , he picked up a keeper trout on a sand patch . We had just pulled up to another place and got out , when he spotted some gulls working and no other boats around . We piled back into the boat and made a cautious drift toward them . We cast out and he promptly hooked a hapless gull . I hooked up a trout , but it was too small . While I was digging the hook out of the fish in the front of the boat , there was a lot of thrashing and cussing from the stern of the boat as Rick fought to free the bird . While he was untangling the mess , I caught a small keeper trout . Another boat arrived and spooked off the birds . We fished on but had no more hook ups , and we left for the shore . Not long after , Rick said he had a nice red on . Then he said , wait it doesn't feel like a red , more like a stingray . Sure enough , he had hooked a ray and he slogged to the shore with a good one foot across ray foaming the water behind him .
                        Nice report plugge!!!
                        Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Great report as usual Henry!
                          Thanks,
                          sigpic
                          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Great report and pictures Henry.I had a blast fishing with you lets do it again.

Comment

Good trip guys!
                              10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Working...
                              X