Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official Bum & Earl thread.

My personal tribute to the two most underated men in Pro Football
    I just found this tonight for inspiration to start the thread.

>>>
    Phillips: Thank you. If ya'll were looking into this sun, you'd know why I'm wearing a hat. I'd like to thank the Hall of Fame for giving me the opportunity to come back up to this part of North Texas. [This isn't Texas.] Oh, it's not? There's a whole lot of people that deserve congratulations -- the Hall of Fame, the enshrinees -- but I want to send a special congratulations to the people of Canton, Ohio and the state of Ohio for that parade this morning. That was -- That was outstanding. That's the best think I've ever seen.

I've had some tough jobs in my life, but believe me, this is one of the toughest: Introduce a guy that made almost 10,00 yards, a guy that's been in every newspaper and on every TV camera for the last 30 days, a guy that's the best running back that I've ever seen in my life -- and they tell me to do it in less than four minutes. Some of his runs lasted that long.

Earl and I've been -- Earl and I've been friends a long time. He came down -- one thing I appreciate about him is his loyalty -- he came down -- he's a great hunter, great outdoorsman, great sportsman -- and he wanted to go quail hunting. So, I told him, "Okay, I'll take you over to Orange and let you go on my grandpa's place." We get over there and drive up to the ranch house. There's a whole bunch of dogs in the yard, and course they knew me and didn't know Earl. So I said, "You're gonna have to sit in the car." So I went inside and talked to my grandpa and he told me where everything was. And I got out and got back. Just as I was getting ready to go out of the house, he said, "Bum," he said, "would you do me a favor?" I said, "Yes, sir." He said, "On your way in," he said, "you saw that old white barn down there?" I said, "Yes, sir." He said, "Well, that old gray mule standing out there is 29 years old." And he said, "I've raised that thing since she was a baby." And he said, "The vet told me to have to put her down, and she's really in misery and I don't have the heart to do it. Would you stop by there and put her out of her misery?" I said, "Yes, sir." So I get back in the car and we go on down the road and Earl said, "What did he say?" I thought well I'll just kind of mess with him a little bit. I said, oh so and so said we couldn't hunt. Well, he swelled up. I mean he got mad and we're going along there. We get about even with that mule. I said, "I'll tell you what I'm going to do: I'm going to go shoot his mule."

So I -- I stop and I get out and I go over there and of course put the mule out of her misery and come back -- no Earl Campbell. About that time I hear "Boom! Boom!" and I look and here come Earl running across the hill -- said, "Bum, let's get out of here; I got his horse and his dog." And if that ain't loyalty, I don't know anything about loyalty.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

A vid tribute to O.A. Phillips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S20qvvDGBt0

Comment

A history lesson for the younger generation who missed the spectacle of Earl Cambell in his early years.
        His rookie year found him League MVP, Rookie of the Year and a Pro-Bowler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxugRBWN8gw

Comment

The previous video hi-lites his big hits and long runs but what is not realized is his power.
          He averaged over 5 yards per carry in the early years and it almost always took more than one defender to bring him down in fact sometimes it took half of the defense to jump on his back and all over him to bring him down.

Without having to think to much about this era of the Oiler's player names easly come to mind like, Renfro, Johnson, Mauck, Bethea, Matthews, Pastorini. The team was excellent on both sides of the ball.

Comment

I was in the press boxes of the Astrodome in 1978 when Earl put the 200 yards on the Dolphins on Monday Night Football. Greatest performance I have ever witnessed. Got to meet Gifford and Dandy Don that night in the Press Box dining hall too. Never saw Cosell.

Good post. Thanks!

Comment

I'm a big fan of Earl. Bum is an interesting personality, but he didn't make the Saints a winner. He just brought in his flunkies and gloried in mediocrity.
              From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                I'm a big fan of Earl. Bum is an interesting personality, but he didn't make the Saints a winner. He just brought in his flunkies and gloried in mediocrity.
                Neither did anyone else in those days... do I need to post the Kodi pic???

Comment

Originally posted by Funk Shoal Brutha View Post
                  Neither did anyone else in those days... do I need to post the Kodi pic???
                  Who or what was Kodi?

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
                    Who or what was Kodi?
                    The Kodi reference is my dog while watching a Saints game... I even have one of Coachlaw sporting some more agreeable colors after his Saints got a whoopin put on them by the Texans... and one of Coach's mini me watching the Saints...LOL Enjoy!!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Bum was a bum. A real cool guy, but not a winner in football. Run, Run, Pass. You knew it would be that way all game long. Morten Andersen kept him in a job for 3 years. Jim Mora came in and cut every one of Bum's boys and made them winners. 7-9 the first year, 12-3 the second year. By then, none of Bum's boys were there anymore. 75% of the roster was USFL retreads.

I still don't get that pose I was made to make. Blake said something about gangsta stuff. Kodi is my nephew.
                      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

He did good here but he had Earl Campbell. He was definately from the old school. You were Big Pimpin in that photo...LOL Have a good weekend brother!

Comment

Earl couldve had 20,000 yards had he gotten to play behind Oaklands or Dallas's line back then.

He was one of the few guys ever that couldve gone directly to the NFL out of High School. Ive known him since the 8th grade when they intergrated schools in Tyler.

Not only the best running back ever, the best player ever.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Good post.back in the day when football was real.not a bunch of millionaires whining all the time
                            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Cool post JT.
                              Where you in the same grade with him?
                              I went to HS in Humble with Mike Mosley who went on to QB for the Aggies.
                              I doubt many remember him though.

I picture sandy and his mini me in my minds eye and it's not pleasant.

Comment

Working...
                              X