gigging banned in november?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gigging banned in november?

is this true and if so can i still spot them w/ the light then sight cast'em w/ a gulp or something ?

It is true -- and yep you can shine a light at em all you want but it would probably be a good idea to not have a gig on the boat or in the truck.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Been that way for 2 years now where have you been???? Possessing a gig on your body or on your boat during November is asking for trouble!
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Yes you can do it.
        My son David did just that and was questioned by a game warden and then allowed to proceed his fishing.
        He said he would find the fish he wanted, drag the bait to within a a foot of the fishes nose, pay out line while stepping back, engage the reel and turn off the light, wait about 10 minutes on the hit and the hit did come.
        You're idea will work.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
        Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Kinda like pick & choose. Hard to do without spooking the quarry?

Comment

They don't spook easy. 9 out of 10 will stay bedded down
            My theory is they are ambush predators and as long as they stay still the think they are hidden.
            Most will not lift out of theyre bed unless you touch them.
            Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

ok, thanks for the feedback I had heard that gigs were banned last year but I did'nt know if was in effect this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
                Yes you can do it.
                My son David did just that and was questioned by a game warden and then allowed to proceed his fishing.
                He said he would find the fish he wanted, drag the bait to within a a foot of the fishes nose, pay out line while stepping back, engage the reel and turn off the light, wait about 10 minutes on the hit and the hit did come.
                You're idea will work.
                That's pretty cool. Makes sense, I caught a flounder last winter when it was pitch black outside.

Comment

Yes you can spot them and use a rod to catch them. I have done it before. Do what 2112 said. Drop your bait and back away. I always carry a rod with me during the STAR in case I walk up on a Monster. I have had the best luck with Gulp or strips of flounder belly. I use that so I don't have to deal with live bait because I am walking. Don't have a boat with lights set up.

Comment

Root, what you said about the Star has crossed my mind several times.
                    Hey, it's hook and line so that makes it legal and I have to wonder if previous winners have done the exact same. I would not doubt it.

Comment

I got the idea years ago when I would hear about boat giggers that would stick a 8 or 9 pounder. It made me ask........Geez. Why not try and win a boat. So I started practicing on different methods. Too bad I haven't walked up on a winner. Heck if I did I might have a heart attck!!!

Comment

The thing about this scenario is during the summer the biggest flounders for me have been 24 inches and 22's are common but a 8 to 10 pounder is a once in a lifetime fish
                        I have only seen one bed that I would guesstimate at 27 inches and that fish probably went 8. This bed I found last year in December at a undisclosed location.

Comment

Personally...I feel you're harrassing a fish, and harrassing a fish is a violation of the law! Now stick that on your prop and smoke it Bert!
                          Don't be a Nancy!
                          If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Harassing fish is my favorite pastime.

Comment

I'm with you brother Yan besides. Montes a old broke dicky-has been and is just jealous and yearns for his days before hip replacement.

Comment

Working...
                              X