Fishing the lights at Bayou Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing the lights at Bayou Vista

My son and I went to fish the lights at Bayou Vista on Saturday night. We got there at dusk and fished until 9:30pm. There was not much bait at the lights and very few small speckled trout. We caught two. After we left, we went to Tiki Island to see if there were fish in the lights there, but it was the same thing.

Any hints on when one can predict when the fish will be at the lights, or is it just hit and miss?

I have tried and its hit or miss for me. In a month or so, it will be too cold for the bait, and I won't be fishing lights until May or so.

I might have waited another day. I wasn't here Sat, but I think it was the first day after the front where the wind returns onshore? Maybe the bite still hadn't come back, I prefer to avoid times right after cold front passages.

Comment

When it's cold, the fishing gets no good. I can have a dead shrimp under a bobber or on the bottom for a week sometimes. That said, it is still OK. Today was better towards the bay end. I hit the lights on the way in, caught one spec and one red. I live on the highway end, and got no bait and just a few sandies in my light and my neighbors' lights tonight. The light fishing should be decent through the warm months, it's not over yet.

Comment

i haven't had anything in my lights for the last two weeks. when i do, they only thing i can get them to hit is live shrimp. in the main channel by the railroad track i've had better luck w/ topwaters.
        michelle

Comment

While passing through Kemah last night at 8:30pm, there were fish in the lights there, both underwater green lights and overhead floods. The temperature was 70 deg. Have the fish shown up there in Bayou Vista?

Comment

I fished at a friend's house in Bayou Vista this past Tuesday night. He lives out on the main bayou, and we were using fly rods only. Pretty much non-stop trout - most small, but a few keepers. We also caught some rat reds.
            Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
            and
            Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Working...
            X