first tiime fishing Chocolate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first tiime fishing Chocolate

New to forum and to Chocolate. after reading many posting i decided to Braved the winds on Friday and fished Chocolate for the first time. launched at 2004 and headed north and fished a few cuts that yielded 1 bite, a 17" red. Headed south to explore the bay and found out quickly that it is shallow if you leave the channel. I saw some post about wading. Is that the general method is to ride out, find a spot and wade fish? Any advises to be successful in this area would be appreciated, especially boating hazards in the area.

Hi and welcome to the site, fishing east and west Chocolate bay may be a little challenging but it’s a great place to wade during the winter time and once you find a few boat cuts you will be ok.
    I fish there a couple times a week and often post up an invite. You are more then welcome to come with
    Or follow behind in your boat. Good luck.

Comment

Chocolate Bay has been trial and error for me over the years. It is a bay system that must be explored. It is full of oyster reefs that hold fish. Some reefs are small and several just below the water line at times. Have you acquired the latest HOOK-N-LINE map for Chocolate (Map No. F127)? The After Hurricane Ike Edition is an excellent tool to help you get started. I think Lutes Marina on Chocolate Bayou has them available.

If Friday was anything like Sunday, the water was probably pretty low to start with. I have been fishing there for the past three years and I still putt the boat around like a little old man.

Don't give up on Chocolate yet (especially now, this is her time of the year).

bouy

Comment

F127 - is the best map and the most up to date ..... I helped update a number of spots on it, and will be giving more updates this winter to the the desinger ....

couple of key things to remember-
        1. The channel has reefs on each side of it, from when they dredge it years ago ..... but there are cuts and small passes that you will need to learn.
        2. Chocolate is made up of mostly mud, with mixed shell ..... but there are a handful of spots to wade, like the east shorline in the big bay.
        3. Wind, tides, and season all play a big factor, and when they all suck .... head up into the Bayou ....and don't be afraid to go way up there ..... lots of redfish live up there year around ..... an ol' guide said he favorite winter bait is the nuclear chickn gulp up the bayou
        4. You will learn the hard way, the 2004 boat ramp is a great place, for guys who like to break into trucks ....!
        The run to the 2004 baot ramp from Lutes is like 6 minutes by water, and Lutes is closer to 288/ alvin/ town .... you just need to learn how to get there .... trust me .... it's not a matter of "IF" but rather when they will break-in.

Last, I have a little email list for Chocolate bayou/ bay & Galveston flounder round ups ..... shoot me a PM with your email and I will add you .... or just shoot me an email to fishcontrolmybrain@yahoo.com ... and ask to be added....

Bryan
        FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

4. You will learn the hard way, the 2004 boat ramp is a great place, for guys who like to break into trucks ....!
          The run to the 2004 baot ramp from Lutes is like 6 minutes by water, and Lutes is closer to 288/ alvin/ town .... you just need to learn how to get there .... trust me .... it's not a matter of "IF" but rather when they will break-in.

Mudskipper,
          Wow! Thanks for the advice! I parked there a few weekends back and I felt awful leery about it. How do you get to Lutes?
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

From Alvin it's 15 minutes, you take 35 south, and turn off at Liverpool ... go thru Liverpool and in about 5 mintus your there ...

From Houston, take 288 to hwy 6 -
            6 east to 35 .... 35 South ... (don't take business 35 through old alvin)

Pull up yahoo maps for a more detailed look
            FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Thanks for the Lutes info!

I've only been to Chocolate a couple of times but the fishing was great, even for a greenhorn. If I ever get better at yakking, or maybe get a better yak, I want to head back. There was a lot of thin water over shell I'd like to work over. Looked like there was lots of places to wade as well. A man could spend a lot of pleasant times mapping out the good spots on Chocolate bay.

Comment

Thanks for all the input about Chcolate...been there once , but , keep thinking I need to check it out , especially around this time of year .
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

So , there would be no safe place to launch a kayak ....to go south of 2004 into Chocolate ?
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                    Thanks for all the input about Chcolate...been there once , but , keep thinking I need to check it out , especially around this time of year .
                    Definitely worth a return trip! I think it's about to burst soon. Let another cold front of two roll through.

As far as a Kayak put in, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't put in a Lutes. Anybody know?

Comment

Jouces: are you going out this Thursday? I've got the day off.

Originally posted by jocues View Post
                      Hi and welcome to the site, fishing east and west Chocolate bay may be a little challenging but it’s a great place to wade during the winter time and once you find a few boat cuts you will be ok.
                      I fish there a couple times a week and often post up an invite. You are more then welcome to come with
                      Or follow behind in your boat. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks all for the info. Much appreciated.

Comment

I have fished it for years 2004 is my launch of choice for a quick trip. Never been broke in but know those who have. Make notes of where you see boats at especially when you keep seeing the same boat there time after time. Alot of people that fish chocolate are locals and go to the best spots time and again. If you see the Ugly Mudda out there come by and say Hi! I am usually flying the Jolly Roger
                          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Chocolate is awesome!I would stay away!lol
                            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

there are no fish in chocolate and its very dangerous!
                              the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X