Smith Point - Mid Slot Reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Point - Mid Slot Reds

Yeah, I know it's not the west end, but a report none the less! Woke up this morning (Saturday Nov 6th) with a slight cold and sinus headache , so I reset the alarm for a late start. Finally got up and headed to Fort Anahuac for a midday trip and when I reached the launch the tide was well, WAY out . I was trying to make up my mind on whether or not to drag the yak 60 plus yards in the mud just to get to water that would float the yak when another yakker drove up. Walked over to him and it was someone I had never met, a young fella name Bryan. It was only his second time out and he didn't like what we were looking at either, so I suggested Smith Point and he tagged along. We finally launched and Bryan had to leave at 4, so I suggested a marsh I had found on my first trip to Smith Point a couple of weeks ago as it produced 2 reds for me then. Got to the drain where I entered last time, but as I said the tide was way out. We paddled on around and entered from the "back side" into the main bayou. This bayou has drains off of it that go into marsh and the bayou finally ends up in a "back lake". Needless to say all those marsh drains were pretty much mud, so we stayed in the bayou. As we paddled up the bayou towards the lake, the finger mullet were flying like sailfish and you could see why with the tails and backs showing up. Started catching slots right away and kept working up the bayou towards the lake where the bayou "dead ended" before it got to the lake. I said that tide was OUT and man it was as we were now in 3 to 9 inches of water. The reds had all those finger mullet pinched between the dead end and them, so I followed their lead and pinned those reds between us and the finger mullet. It was nonstop action and after 45 minutes we had to leave them biting so I could get Bryan back to the launch at 4. My final tally was one rat and 7 slots. The slots were 23", 2 ~ 24", 25" and 3 ~ 26" and all these fish were fat and probably full of finger mullet. They all had a really nice blue tint on their tails and that tint was not only on the edges, but extended a little into the tail. I believe Bryan had 3 and they were all in the 24" range, so for his second trip he was pretty stoked. Not a bad day at all as I met a new yakker and converted this Gulp diehard to a TTF KFM Morning Glory as all fish were caught with the KFM.

Wind - ENE 10mph
    Water Clarity - NONE it was muddier than, well you know what I mean
    Tide - Definitely OUT
    Time - 2:00 - 3:00pm
    Bait - Y'all should know this by know for me, a TTF KFM in Morning Glory
    Attached Files
    Happy Fishin'
    Chicken

We cover from Port A to Sabine great report!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nice report!! WTG!!
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Nice report,congrats on the catch
        Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

good report!
          the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Great report.....Thanks!
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

TTF KFM in Morning Glory
              I Gotta remember that one! Nice report.
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

good trip!
                10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Great report!

Comment

nice report!

Comment

Nicely done , great report with pictures...thanks !!
                      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Great report and a productive yak trip. Thanks for posting the details!
                        At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Working...
                        X