11/17 fly report....Just RIDICULOUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/17 fly report....Just RIDICULOUS

Today in one of the best days I've had with my fly rod in Saltwater. Fished Bastrop Bay and I think I ended up with about 18-20 reds! I lost count after a while. All fish were 18"-25". Fished the bay first and landed a few fish that were cruising shell and grass pads. Then ventured into a bayou got out of the kayak and stood out on a sand/mud flat and landed 3 more from the same spot. I had sunk to my knees in mud so I moved one catching a few more cruising the edge of the bayou. Then I rounded a corner and came across a school of a 100 or so reds. I let them pass since the bayou was very narrow and then caught 2 more off the back end of that school. They remained together and not really moving very fast so I parked the kayak and chased the school down the bank. I picked them off from behind steering the caught fish away from the main school. Ended up with 8 more or so from that school before I got tired of chasing them. At one point I tied on an additional fly 2 feet down from the first to try and get a double hook-up. I didn't happen, the first caught fish would inevitably yank the second fly away from the other chasing red....maybe next time. Continuing down the bayou I caught a few more and then decided to leave catching a few more at the mouth of that bayou on the way out. On the way home I caught a few more cruising the grass flats. I was blessed with an awesome day to say the least.

FYI...They were still hammering the white shrimp pattern but I didn't see that many shrimp. The reds were chasing mullet for the most part.
    Attached Files

great report!

Comment

Sweet report. Sounds like fun!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Great pics! I like your commando tactics. Nothing like chasing schooling reds in shallow water on a beautiful weather day. Congrats.
        If we don't leave any, there won't be any.

Comment

Love success stories, well done

Comment

Great report and pics!!
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Awesome job chasing those Reds......sounds like you had a blast. WTG !!

Comment

Great report and pics! It was beautiful out thee today.
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Outstanding pics!!!!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Skiffstiff

What great pictures of that school of reds.It is good to have a RIDICULOUS DAY every once in a while.

Comment

That sounds like an absolutely stellar day, Way to go!! Great pics too, the school shot is awesome.
                      http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Working...
                      X