How do you mark hazards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you mark hazards?

OK. I know I'm a complete newbie. Now that's out of the way: How do you mark hazards? Do you simply jam a length of PVC into the sand/ mud near the hazard? How does it work? This is probably an academic question since I'm usually either wading or in a yak, but I'd like to know just in case.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

I mark them with PVC with Red & White reflective tape

If you post up GPS coordinates I can put out the marker
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Sorry, No GPS.
      But jamming the PVC into the sand next to the hazard, Is that he basic methodology?

Comment

Yes, unless it (pvc) is marking an access channel. Usually if you see a piece of pvc pipe, it is best to navigate away from that since it likely marks an obstruction.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

so many pvc stakes in this bay system it's always hard to tell. People tend to mark spots they like that way too. Kind of hard to figure out what's what.
          http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

I'd recommend you concentrate on not letting your kayak drift away from you for now . Let someone who won't capsize their boat do the marking .
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Good idea! Especially since I may not have you around to rescue me!!

Comment

I'm not sure how most fishermen mark hazards or fishing holes.DBARHAM drops the motor off his boat and leaves it on bottom to mark his spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneekypete View Post
                  I'm not sure how most fishermen mark hazards or fishing holes.DBARHAM drops the motor off his boat and leaves it on bottom to mark his spots.
                  We've done that too... Ripped the whole transom off a salvaged boat... I am darn glad my buddy bought me out of it 2 days prior to him sinking it LMAO!
                  We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

ROFL!
                    It may be some time till I try that technique!

Comment

West bay has left it's mark on the bottom of my boat. A friend pointed out some pipes telling me there is a channel marked by them pipes,but did not mention I needed a boat that drafts 3 inches to get thru it. Ouch at 45mph on shell,boat was 3 weeks old.
                      Today is a new day!!

Comment

Working...
                      X