11-20-2010 chocolate bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11-20-2010 chocolate bay

New to the site , CURMUDGEON , asked me to go kayak fishing with him . He had never fished saltwater much and never been in a kayak before , and , he wanted someone " experienced " to go with him . I told him I was your man . Only later did I realize he was referring to kayaking and catching fish . Boy , was I embarressed . He had borrowed an old Heritage yak . He needed a shoe horn to slip into it , and , once in he was stuck and couldn't reach any of his hatches or bags behind him . His hatches were awash and he was dangerously close to the waterline . He wanted to fish Chocolate Bay . I never fished the upper bay near the 2004 ramp where we launched , but , with some solicited advice from MUDDSKIPPER ( thank you !! ) we met there at 6 AM Friday . The day was partly cloudy , the wind was calm early , SSE , SE , E , ESE 5-13 MPH , Bay water around 65 degrees , water visibility about 9 inches , outgoing tide in the morning and incoming started early afternoon at a good clip , air was 62 degrees early , warming to 71 degrees . Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1934.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	567998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1935.JPG
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	567999Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1936.JPG
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	567996Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1936.JPG
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	567996Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1940.JPG
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	568001Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1937.JPG
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	568000
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Continued

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1941.JPG
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	553584Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1939.JPG
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	553585Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1946.JPG
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	553582Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1944.JPG
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	553583Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1943.JPG
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	553586

We headed from the launch to a grassy cove on the east side of the channel in 2 feet of water . Seeing bait activity on the surface near the shore , I cast my Mirrolure PUP , black back , white belly and landed a rat red . A little later , another rat red was landed . It was calm and shallow so a small topwater I thought would do . I worked up a little cut and out , we fished around these poles in 3-4 feet of water and out of the cove . Bruce wasn't use to a baitcaster and he had numerous backlashes . This all the while trying not to fall out of his bucket of a yak . But , he gamely maintained a cheery good sense of humor to his credit . I told him to put out more brakes and tighten down the tension knob. He got more the hang of it and got pretty good picking out birdnets .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Continued

Name:	IMGP1945.JPG
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	553588Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1949.JPG
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	553587Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1948.JPG
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	553591Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1951.JPG
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	553592Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1947.JPG
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	553590Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1950.JPG
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	553589

Before we left the cove , Bruce got out to take a wizz . I showed him my empty Gatorade bottle that I use for such purposes without having to leave the kayak , a large one with a big opening in my case , not bragging , just a fact . Soon after , he was screeching for help . As I looked , his kayak had drifted away from the shore while he was doing his business with his back to the water . I rescued his kayak and we were back to fishing . I found a sweet spot where the cove met the main channel dropoff and landed a fat 17 inch and 18 inch flounder on a GULP chartruese curly tail with the head bitten off to make a smaller bait . I think they take it in better . I gave them to Bruce as he had said how happy his wife was that he was getting out to do something outdoors and she had really wanted some flounder . About that time he blurted out that he had to call his wife to check in with her . It came out that his wife had her worries about meeting a stranger at dark thirty ..... a perfect ploy to rob and and murder the hapless CURMUDGEON . Oddly , this isn't the first wifely concern I've encountered . The first time I fished with ZORK , he had to call his wife to annouce that he had indeed safely survived his encounter with PLUGGER . I mentioned this to my wife and she was in total agreement with the wife's . When was the last time you ever heard of some guy being lured out fishing only to be brutally assaulted by a deranged fisherman ? Go figure .

Comment

Continued

Name:	IMGP1953.JPG
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	553596Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1952.JPG
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	553594Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1955_edited-1.JPG
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	553593Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1955.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	553597Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1954.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	553595

Bruce showed up with his pet cat attached to his face...apparently they are inseparable . I told him to leave it at home next time....the fur is a wind drag when paddling . He then landed a 16 inch flounder on a borrowed GULP which he then gave to me . He had misplaced his hookouts , so I had to go over and with much jocking around and tipping and tangled lines he handed me the fish to unhook . I had to place his fish in his front hatch as he could not reach it , so , I had him return the favor to place the fish in my bag . I had to get him to display his " anchor " as it was too good not to poke fun at him about . He said it worked fine . I said no , it'll not hold in a real current and to break down and get a claw anchor . He told me he was a scottish tight wad , but , still for goodness sake !!

Comment

Continued

Name:	IMGP1958.JPG
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	553598Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1956.JPG
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	553599

The wind picked up and we headed to the opposite horse shoe cove to get out of the wind and eat something . If you noticed in the last picture , if Bruce wasn't properly equiped for fishing , he at least had the good sense to bring along beer . It was only a foot deep there and after awhile he headed back to the flounder area and I went farther down the channel on the east side to explore some coves I could see . I passed these houses on the way .

Comment

Continued

Name:	IMGP1959.JPG
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	553606Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1961.JPG
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	553604Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1960.JPG
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	553603Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1962.JPG
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	553602Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1963.JPG
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	553600Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1964.JPG
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	553605Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1965.JPG
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	553601

There were shell reefs along the east side , many exposed , and holding bait . I fished around there for some time before I snagged this 22 inch red with a SHE DOG , chartruese back , chrome belly by casting over a reef inches below the surface . I got worried about Bruce with no hookouts and kayaks drifting away and all , so , I fished my way back to the open channel where I could see him still hunkered down in the flounder hole away in the distance . I was about to go back when I saw him pull dumbbell and paddle off back to the ramp about 1 : 30 PM . I felt bad about running off and leaving him hoping he wasn't mad at me . Later I talked to him and it was cool .

Comment

Continued

Name:	IMGP1968.JPG
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	553612Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1970.JPG
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	553611Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1975.JPG
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	553610Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1969.JPG
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	553609Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1971.JPG
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	553608Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1977.JPG
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	553613Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1972.JPG
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	553607

I then went to the west shore and fished a small reef jutting out from the shoreline. Seeing bait glintting against the reef in the sun , I cast a spook jr. over there and landed a needle fish . After fishing there awhile with nothing to show in 2 feet of water , I drifted the drop off of the main channel letting the incoming tide carry me back towards the ramp . I immediately started hooking up small trout , so , I anchored and alternately cast to the flats , drop off , and deep channel . Most of the fish caught were at the drop off . I caught about 15 trout and 15 rat reds , all too small except for one 15 1/2 inch trout to round off my SLAM . Seeing no bigger fish were passing by , I finally drifted again down the main channel to where it necks down hoping bigger fish were there .

Comment

Great report and pics as usual.Congrats!
                Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

END

Name:	IMGP1978.JPG
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	553618Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1979.JPG
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	553617Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1980.JPG
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	553614Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1982.JPG
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	553615Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1981.JPG
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	553616

Drifting by the flounder hole , I caught this 18 inch flounder to make my two fish limit . I fished around the island near the bridge and in a bayou where another rat red hit my topwater , landed and released . I fished around the bridge supports on the down current side and found that my kayak would stay in place without an anchor if positioned exactly in the middle of the stucture . I thought this would be a place where fish would ambush prey , so , I fished and jigged around there . I got my line wrapped around an unnoticed black line overhead and after some tugging and fearing I would be electrocuted , I bit off the line managing to get my jighead . I figured it was a sign and I headed in at 5 PM . I noticed while loading up a family camping out with two small children . I watched the dad haul in a stingray much to the glee of the kids , but , disappointment to the dad . Finally , I drove over and talked to him and offered him my fish . He said he had NEVER eaten a flounder . I told him he was in for a treat . I drove off feeling good about that . I talked to Bruce the next day and he said he had landed a " monster " flounder and a 22 inch trout , but had to release the flounder because he had his limit and couldn't reach his front hatch to bag the trout . AHGG !! Let's all hope Bruce gets a decent kayak and gets properly geared up . Nice going CURMUDGEON on your first kayak trip ......you caught some good fish , survived the challenge of the crummy yak and gear , and I didn't rob and murder you . I very successful first trip indeed !!

Comment

I forgot to add that I think he borrowed his 8 year old daughter's sunglasses . Bruce , please get some polarized sunglasses . You can see in the water much , much better and will help you fish better as a result . You may not look as stylish , but , you ' ll catch more fish . Besides , I'll never fish with you again if you insist on wearing them .

Comment

As always a great report. Lots of details and humor. Nice pics... you must have a good camera. Remember not to grink the Gatorade!!!!

Comment

I can't believe I survived it! I didn't realize how low I was riding! Thanks Plugger! It was fun. Let's do it again when I have a better yak.
                        BTW: those ugly sunglasses are Nikons!
                        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I thought that was a camera . None the less......

Comment

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
                            As always a great report. Lots of details and humor. Nice pics... you must have a good camera. Remember not to grink the Gatorade!!!!
                            HAR !! I only did that ONCE !!

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                              HAR !! I only did that ONCE !!
                              ROFL!
                              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                              X