13.2 lbs, almost 5" thick.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13.2 lbs, almost 5" thick.

Yup...it's a Southern Flounder from Daulphin Is, Fl.
    Even though it is a Souther Flounder they are geneticaly different from our fish...Dang.
    In case some of you are confused, this is a gigging sub-forum so yeah, it got pounded in the brains with a sharp stick. It must had been very exciting!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

That thing looks like a freaking halibut!
    "Nobody's so poor that democrats can't get rich screwing 'em."
    boom

Comment

awesome!

Comment

I've got another picture some where of another Fl boy holding one equally as big wich begs the question; what are they putting in the water down there. Ha-ha!
        Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

At what point does a flatty become a fatty? How long does a saddleblanket like that calm down once gigged?

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
            I've got another picture some where of another Fl boy holding one equally as big wich begs the question; what are they putting in the water down there. Ha-ha!

Comment

WTF??? that is a flounder!!
              Captain Glenn Stevens
              Coastal Guide Service
              www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

HOLY CRAP!!!!!! That is a HUGE fish!
                sigpic

Comment

Floundzilla for sure there!
                  "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

Holy Shite!
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Huge Fish !!!! Good Post.

Texas state record .
                      Flounder, Southern 13.00Lbs 28.00"Length Feb 18,1976 Sabine Lake (Herbert Endicott)

Twice in history the Texas record was caught in West Bay in Starvation Cove.

Comment

Thanks for getting me back on track.
                        Before Sabine I did not know the state record came from Starvation more than once. If you look on TPW web site they state the all record Southern Flounder went 34 and 1/2 inches. I don't have my facts with me but I want to recall the fish weighted around 17lbs.
                        It was taken by a diver off some short rigs.
                        Last edited by 2112; November 27, 2010, 10:57 PM.

Comment

thats about the size of the one i caught while living in st augustine fl. the state record is 20 lbs. 9 oz.
                          the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

HOLY COW , Bert . That thing IS a cow !! How long was it ? I can't imagine seeing such a thing in person .
                            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
                              Thanks for getting me back on track.
                              Before Sabine I did not know the state record came from Starvation more than once. If you look on TPW web site they state the all record Southern Flounder went 34 and 1/2 inches. I don't have my facts with me but I want to recall the fish weighted around 17lbs.
                              It was taken by a diver off some short rigs.
                              I wish that I would have saved the news paper article on this one. It was in the Houston Post. Not only did the rod and reel record come from Starvation cove twice, but they were caught on the SAME day and month. One year apart if memory is correct. What are the odds of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X