11/27 fly report...aint deep yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/27 fly report...aint deep yet

put in at the pass at lowering tide. Fished a bayou and back lake. spooked a dozen or so in the bayou...mostly low tide. The back lake was empty of fish but It seemed like they were itching to get in there. It was tough to get them hooked. The twitch attracted them but it seemed like 4 inches in front of them was too far and they turned away. I saw several open mouths turn away. Out in the bay on the way back, birds were working sporatically in about 1-2 feet. They were working bait on a hard sand flat. After a tour of the area i found the flat was loaded with redfish just not concentrated. They would pop and slurp here and there. If I had more time I could have waded and probably done well, but the sun was setting and I had several miles to paddle home. Anyway, landed only one small red. I paddeled over a group of 3 very large reds. I thought from the wake it was much more. They are in there and not deep.....I need to get some mullet flies...any recomendations?? Shrimp are still around but mostly saw fingure mullet.

Thanks for the report
    sigpic

Comment

Chris, Check out the DH mullet. I think that's the name. Rainy's ties it, it's a woolhead fly that was conceived by Dave Hayward and Eric Kraimer. Good looking white pattern with a weedgard so it can be fished over grass. I know that Orvis carries them. Look at the Rainy's website and you should see it.

Good report by the way. You must be developing some huge shoulders and lats with all that paddling!
      http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Working...
      X