East Matty; 2 Dec 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Matty; 2 Dec 2010

I searched deep and shallow for trout, could only manage one 17 incher, but the reds were EVERYEHERE . My fishing buddy was chasing reds up the bayou on our way out, I finally caught up with him and was able to get a cast ahead of the school and picked one off. Landed a nice 22" red before we even got into the bay, so it was starting out pretty good. Told another fishing buddy to jump into a drain as I saw some bait out of the corner of my eye and after I had the first red strung, went back to see him throwing the kitchen sink at them. Well I threw my kitchen sink at them too and they wouldn't hear of it . We both paddled out and met up with the other guys (there was 4 of us) where we saw more backs and tails at another drain. Made a cast and the drag was screaming . Battled it for a few minutes and it even made a pass at one of the guy’s yak almost running into it. I was finally able to turn it and had it at the bow of the yak when she spit the hook and swam off. Oh well, I guess that's why she'd grown to be a big girl. I went into the drain to a lake with about 6" of water and landed the second red, another 22". We continued along the bay working drains where I picked up my 3rd red for the limit, a 24" and on a bone Spook Jr. I had paddled into a tidal lake with VERY little water in it and there were backs and tails everywhere! They didn't want the HH or the KFM, so the spook flew out and picked the 24" up. I caught and released 3 more reds in that tidal lake and moved on, that topwater action is AWESOME! My search for some trout started and I picked one up as mentioned earlier, but the backs and tails were everywhere, even in the middle of the bay! Picked up some more reds in the bay and ended up with 10 or 11 reds, but I strung the first 3 I caught and some bigger ones caught later were released. Finally came back to my senses and went looking for trout with no success, guess it was a "red" day for me .

Hours fished were 7am to 4:30pm
    Water temp was 58 deg
    Winds were SSE at calm to 6mph
    Outgoing tide in am, slack afternoon incoming tide
    TTF KFM and HH in Morning glory along with the bone Spook Jr. fooled the reds
    TTF KFM in East Beast landed the trout
    Trout green water in bay, semi-clear/stained/murky in the shallows

Happy Fishin'
    chicken
    Attached Files
    Happy Fishin'
    Chicken

The tidal lake you entered may have been Little Boggy Lake. It's well known to the locals and many flat boats get hung up in it.

Thanks For the posting. Gret report and great trip!
    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Working...
    X