1/3 fly report...still a few good ones around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/3 fly report...still a few good ones around

Put in at Christmas today at low tide. Tide was still a little lower than normal. After the tide started moving the fish turned on. Started catching several small reds like the one in the picture. The little reds are thick. Sometimes I drift with the fly in the water but had to stop that since the little ones were picking it up as I drifted keeping me from getting a shot at the larger fish. I’m having to work a little harder for the big ones. They are in and out of the skinny water quick. I ended up finding the bigger fish chasing bait around the shorelines. I passed up many small ones so I wasn’t occupied when the larger fish showed themselves. The bigger fish were close to or in deeper guts. Seems like hammering the big reds in skinny water is started to slow a bit. There were lots of sheepshead around but couldn’t get em to bite. What fly do ya’ll use to catch sheepshead?? I’ve only caught one on a spoon fly. He was already munching a crab when I sat the fly in his face. One of these days I am going to dedicate a whole day to the Sheepshead enigma. Ended up with three good size reds up to 26” and several small ones. If you wanted you could have caught those little ones all day. Wind was south at 5 increasing to 15 mph. Clear sunny day, water was ok at best, tide was moving in pretty good. Caught all on white shrimp fly thing in the picture.

FYI…found a gull sitting on my kayak when I got back from a quick wade and didn’t think much of it until I stopped for lunch and found half of may sandwich eaten. He ate it through the zipplock. I was hungry and still ate the other half. I hope they don’t carry diseases?
    Attached Files

Nice report! At least you were catching something. Keep at it!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Bird Flu!

Great read, thanks.
      Scott
      "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Nice report. Thanks.

Comment

Great report.

Great pics.

You guys amazing when you are flicking those flies around.

Comment

Thanks for the report. I will be out somewhere tomorrow...

Comment

forgot to add...I have had great luck with sheepies on a #4 black, bead chain clouser with no flash.

Comment

Black and orange seem to be the most productive colors. Mostly smaller flies. We did land a nice one Thursday on a white shrimp fly..
                http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Jig Head,
                  Looks like you had a very good day with the fish and the weather.I have had some luck with sheepshead using small dark flies.Try bead chain clousers in all black w/ black flash,small bend backs in black w/ fire or chartruse butt,small brown or black seaducers. I managed to catch two really good ones last week on a Mr.Pinky.All flies were tied on #6 & #8 hooks.

Skiffstiff

Comment

Working...
                  X