Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasadenamans' Mako maiden voyage with Reeltime

Good morning fwe'rs

This saturday was a beautiful day. I woke up at 5:30am, wife went to work at that time. I had my checklist for going out on the boat ready to go. I had charged up my Magellan corss over GPS that works on land and waters, charged up my cell, charged my VHF hand held that floats, and so on. I placed my 3 year olds bag of clothe and diapers, food in the truck the night before. Halfway to my mothers I thought I had forgotten it. Earlier in the week ReelTime was greatful enough to answer my buddy boat request for the weekend.

As I am driving to Pasadena to my mothers there was this junky eclipse that had red bondo on it and on the rear window it had in chalk, "Se Vende" As i accelerated to pass this older feller, he drifted to my lane and I had to veer of to the lane next to me. I had about half a second to react. I blew my horn a few time and left it on for about 5 seconds. He slowed down and so did I and I gave him the bird.

I made it to my mothers about 7:15 with out any more issues and she made me breakfast. Loaded up my takle and called my inlaws to let them know I was on my way(10 minute drive) When I showed up they were up but one was on the way. It was going to be my self(With the camo beamie):

Alex, my 16 year old nephew that I mentor
    Yuniel, my sister in laws husband (the one with no fish, lol)
    Jr., we call him poto, hes my brother n laws sibbling (in shorts)

We took off to get my boat about 8:30. While I was picking up the boat at my mechanics property he warned me that he was worried about a part that he wants to replace. Its some type of lever that overides the choke or idle bleed screw. He told me that if you cant get it started, move it to the left and that will let the fuel get in easier. We started her up and she was good to go.

We took off down hw6 to Diversionary and had to make a few pit stops for drinks, then we forgot the drinks, then inlaws wanted to stop at a taco stand. Come on, I hate delays and ReelTime was already in the water.

We did not hit the ramp til about 10:30. This was going to be the first time I launched the 20ft Mako. I installed the plug at the gas station ,Mixed 120oz of 2 cycle quilsilver and filled the 40 gallon tank. $120 to fill her up with premium. We went half and half + the oil and ethenol treatment. As I arrive at the public boat ramp I started to get nervous. There was one boat waiting to load his boat and one launching. It was a extremely low tide. I was signaled to back on in from the boat that was waiting.

I unhooked the boat, checked the plug and took out the dock lines. I had my inlaw get in the boat to back it out once it was in the water. All in all it took me 10 minutes total to get it in the water and go park. Luckaly, there was no one waiting on me. All my gear was already in the boat.

So the boats in the water after the second attempt but the inlaw cant get it started. I jumped in and made sure the rope was still looped at the dock. I tried several times and it would not start. We primed the bulb and nothing. I took the cowling off and moved that lever and she turned on with one turn of the key. We backed out and by that time ReelTIme was out there about 200 yards away. He had his FWE shirt and was out there with his some. We talked for about a minute and the plan was to follow him.

About 2 minutes after i started to follow him my engine stopped. I hade to adjust that lever to get her to start. Reel time had already started to u turn and I was back up and running so he just circled back. We made it to a spot where you turn left and he recomened i set anchor a certain way and the current took me and my boat to about a foot of water. He had to pull me out after I failed to get out.

We finaly set anchor and had bites here and there. My cell phone goes off, its ReelTime. He said that he has caught about 15 fish between hima nd his son. I was like WTF, He gave me a location to go to and I was there. A few minutes later we had out first Fish in the boat. I reeled in a rat red. ended up with about 10 of them and released all. One I had to leave the hook in due to where it was in.

My inlaws brother, "Poto" received a call and he was asked to come in early so we bid ReelTime farewell and thanks and headed back in. I loaded the boat on the fist try, removed the plug and it drained for a minute or 2. I thought to my self, I though this had a bilge....

Made it home and dropped off "Poto" and headed for sylvan beach ramp. launched without incident, I did have to adjust that lever again but was out of the ramp in a few minutes. Fished over by pine gully and called it a day right before the sun set. My GPS for my truck guided me back to the ramp. I had problems finding it by sight.

All in all it was a good day. Had to take the cowling off 15 times or so but I managed to reolve the issue every time. Boats getting repaired next week. My mechanic buddy is going on a ride with me in it with an aux tank. Bildge did not work but Sunday I fixed that issue. It has a 1250 Attwood bilge and I have a spare 1500 that I an going to rig up in case of an emergency.

Thanks ReelTime and FWErs for all yalls help. I need to make myself a dang push pole....

All that running and i only burnt a 1/4 tank, 10 gallons. 30 gallons left. Max speed 37 mph.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PasadenaMan; December 6, 2010, 11:12 AM.
    NoBama

Good trip ,wtg reeltime!
    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Hope you get her running good!

Comment

Tell them the truthJose you were there to rescue me and you bailed..lol J/K......funny how it turns out sometimes......had a good time i wish ya'll could have stayed until the tide started coming in.
        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Next time I think I am not taking "Poto" Just my nephew and brother in law. My nephew, he had never fished until I took him on an over nighter at the SLP pier a couple of years ago. Now he is hooked. Shoo tme a pm on how to make a push pole. I was thinking of just getting a pvc pipe. I hope to get out soon once the fuel issue is resolved.

I think that near accident I had on the way to pasadena was a bad omen. At one point, my engine was peeing black water.
          Last edited by PasadenaMan; December 6, 2010, 11:46 AM.
          NoBama

Comment

Nice report/adventure.Glad everything worked out
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Glad everything came out ok!
              sigpic
              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

you should have called me back on saturday about going out on sunday. Eric
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 081.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	599.8 KB
ID:	553709

Comment

way to put em on em chris
                  MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by o2ram4dr View Post
                    you should have called me back on saturday about going out on sunday. Eric
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11069[/ATTACH]
                    I am sorry about that Eric... I appolgize. I had so many #s in my that I though I had saved under right names and lost tract of them. I have your saved now though. This weekend I hope to receive the part thats f'ing up my starts.
                    NoBama

Comment

Call him,he wants to go Sunday, I want to take him,but my plans just changed this evening for the weekend.Argh!!
                      Today is a new day!!

Comment

Working...
                      X