Thursday Fly report (late again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday Fly report (late again)

Fished Thursday with Dave Hayward and Collins Illich from TFO. Day started out looking great, with clear skies and light winds, and a very low tide. While running down a shoreline, I noticed a group of birds with several spponbills and pulled up for a closer look. Poled around for a while and didn't see much. We moved to some softer mud areas, and immediately found the tailing fish. As we poled up on a small marsh drain, the fish were thick and tailing. We got within casting distance and proceeded to start catching them on fly. Things got tough not long after as a large cloud bank rolled in and stayed on top of us for the rest of the day. We had serious trouble seeing the fish if they didn't tail or push a wake. Consequently, we spooked more fish than I care to remember. Both of these guys are great fly casters and it wasn't due to anything that they did, but we had numerous refusals. We tried several flies, with no decided preference. Caught them on my white shrimp fly, a toad, sea ducer, and at least one other pattern. I just couldn't say that they liked one better than another.

It was crazy how many fish were on the shorelines, and painful to have that cloud cover. So many times during the day, someone would move on the boat and wakes would just come up all around us. Light wind can make getting near them tough. We ended the day around 1:45 with 9 or 10 reds landed up to about 26.5. I got some video of the tails and the fight with the biggest fish. Now I have to learn to edit and post...
    Attached Files
    http://www.theshallowist.com

Nice day of catching.Congrats
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Great report Capt Steve!
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Looks like ya'll had a good day with that redfish count.I'll bet there was not a dull moment with old "Haywire" on your skiff.

Skiffstiff

Comment

Working...
        X