Motor Storage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Storage Question

Would it be wise for me to store my 25 hp 4 stroke tilted or should I drop it vertical? I have a water barrel full of water below it and I don't want it soaking in the water and I would rather not dump out the water unless I need to. Any advise would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	motor.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	568147

Thanks
    Dave

Are you storing it for the winter? Is it carburated or fuel injection?
    Today is a new day!!

Comment

Not the whole winter I hope but I will not have an opportunity to use it for the next month or so. It's carb. I drained the tank and ran the fuel out. I still need to drain the water seperator and fuel line. My concern is with the crank oil level shifted and the CMC tilt/trim (I forgot to mention that point).

Comment

I would lower the motor down all the way to get water out of the lower unit to keep it from freezing,then tilt it back up,lock it down,then lower the rams all the way down.Put fuel stabilizer in tank. Pull plugs & foam the cylinders. I would still pull the drain plugs on carbs. to get any remaining fuel out you can,there will always remain a little in the float bowl when you run them out. I would spray the engine block down with Corrosion X also. Unhook battery.
        Today is a new day!!

Comment

Thanks Dawg

Comment

our winters very rarely become cold enough to really effect our motors ..... You best maintence is run it once a month ....

Putting stabile in the tank is good, but you need to run it through the motor ....

4 strokes - change the oil next year, as well as the lower unti oil ....

Always run the freshest gas you can with stabile .....
            FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

oh and as long as you run it every month storing it up like that should be fine ...

With 2 strokes it better to run the tilted down as you want the carb level and kept with gas in them
              FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Thanks.
                My concern was leaving it tilted up but that doesn't seem to be a problem. I see most boats with their units vertical and I was wondering if there was a good reason for that. As I said before, I have a water barrel full of water under it that I use when running it and I didn't want to drain it. Coworkers have 2 strokes and they were not sure about a 4 stroke. They tell me it doesn't matter if a 2 stroke is stored up or down. They also say that they run the carb dry after every use but use them 2 -4 times a year. They just don't get out much but that leaves more space for us

Now that you brought up gas quality: I have been running regular grade and it runs fine. Should I consider bumping up to mid grade or super? I didn't get a manual with it so I'm somewhat blind to what Yamaha recommends. It's a 2001 Yamaha 25hp.

Comment

If your really worried about it sitting up for the winter & causing any problems, I dont mind coming over every weekend & picking it up & run it for you,will keep fresh gas in it,wash it and even bring you some fresh fish once in a while,if I catch any. Just a thought,but not this weekend.lol
                  Today is a new day!!

Comment

The co-workers that run the gas out of their 2-stroke are hurting themselves

you cannot run all the gas out of the carbs...leaving a little bit of oil and gas mixture ....when the gas evaporates ...whats left?

Oil/ gunk ... this is what clogs the tiny pin hole injectors .... thats why if you cannot run it alteast keep your bulb firm ....that way there is always gas in the carbs ..... keeping the gum out of carbs is a challenge .... Iused to rebuild my carbs every 18 months as prevention ..... and I never had problems ......
                    FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Here is a solution to your owners manual problem. Stay late after work and print this thing up on the company's paper and ink.

I'll be printing mine up Thursday evening.

Last edited by buoy37; December 7, 2010, 11:06 PM.

Comment

That's what I needed.
                        Thanks Bouy

Comment

Working...
                        X