Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridays Slam, 12-3-2010

Fishing with Dad,
    Thursday 12-2-2010 was some hard fishing for a few flounder near the boat yards off the channel. We were fishing live mullet and live shrimp, got a few but they were few and far between. We decided they weren't on the move and probably stacked up in the deep channel waiting on some cooler water to move. Friday, we'd head towards San Luis Pass.

Upon reaching the Pass Friday morning about 8:30am and seeing how low the tide was, no trailers or boats in the parking lot and only followed by a john boat who asked if we thought we could make it I decided why not... After sliding the boat off the trailer and trolling towards the exit in my 23ft Haynie I drew a crowd on golf carts who were pointing at me, then the opening, me, opening, murmuring... "Hey... You betting with me or against me" I yell. Guy on the second golf cart yells back "60/40". I yell "Do I got the 60... or the 40???" "oh you got the 40 he yelled back". Luckily with the trolling motor so high in the water the blades would cavitate at anything above a crawl we neared, crested and passed the entrance!! Woohoo were on the water!!! ahhhh the Haynie really does float in 10".

As I dropped the big motor and fired her up I had visions of non pressured fish and all the water we could fish. We stopped at the bridge first thinking flounder. Again we had live mullet and live shrimp but our luck wasn't at the bridge. We caught some huge sheephead and a couple of Pampano but no flounder so we even set up a slow drift pattern paralleling island, casting in front of the boat as to have the bait meet any fish first in everything from 9-2ft of water (running the guts) and didn't have much better luck.

Decided to move on to the channel running along the island by the KOA and the tip of Bird Island since the current was swinging around . It was ok but still slow fishing, a speck, drum, sheephead... let's move.

Shot back to cold pass... hey I think I cut the corner short going from the KOA turning right... depth finder said .9ft... then flash flash... then .9ft... 1.5ft, 2ft... ok back in the channel. Never lost speed. Nice...

Settled on an area of 2ft with quick access to 9ft and 7ft depending on where you cast, with structure. Almost instantly we started hooking up. You could decide what you wanted depending on where you cast. Cast here... speck. Case there... Red.

All said and done the keepers came off of live finger mullet. Juveniles came off the shrimp. Made for some fun fishing even with the juveniles since we probably threw back about 30 undersized reds and maybe 15 trout, 6 or so sheephead, sand trout...

This is what we kept. Made for a great day on the water for wintertime fishing

Good trip!
    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Hey Racer, that was me in the jon boat. Glad to see you made it. Watch out for those sandbars! Good report!
      "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

Nice job Joe! I'm surprised your dad wasn't wacking them on the cork and soft plastic rig he always uses haha

Comment

very nice slam!!slp style
          Captain Glenn Stevens
          Coastal Guide Service
          www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Man, I really enjoyed reading this post! I could see it all happening as I read it. Good stuff.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Sweet!
              sigpic
              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Thanks guys! I had a blast on the water. I forgot how much I love the other side of the Pass. I have to find that channel to get from my side to the other. Should have ran it from the other side and saved the trail but had fish on the brain.

Alex,
                  We threw a few lures and had luck with them but were getting bigger fish on the mullet so stayed with it. I'm sure we could have got some on the lures but we hadn't fished in a bit and just wanted to stretch some lines.

Coach!
                  I kept looking around thinking... and where is his place. hahahhaha one day!

Hey Rockfish, Good to see you hit the water too. Hope you made it out and found some fish. I'm pretty familiar with the Pass and it's sand bars although you know the pass... changes with every tide. I used to wade it but after it started making huge changes by the bridge I decided by boat only, plus you can find jsut about whatever fishing conditions you wish to key in on at the Pass. I have a feeling the front of Bird Island where water splits left and right is a great trout/red fish spot. We picked up a few in the eddie popping the line to bounce the bait in and out of the roots just off the island but the water was coming in too hard and fast. Another day, diff conditions and it would have been killer there too.

Comment

Great report...you were in one of my favorite areas on the planet! Love it back there.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Race1Mopar View Post
                      Thanks guys! I had a blast on the water. I forgot how much I love the other side of the Pass. I have to find that channel to get from my side to the other. Should have ran it from the other side and saved the trail but had fish on the brain.

Alex,
                      We threw a few lures and had luck with them but were getting bigger fish on the mullet so stayed with it. I'm sure we could have got some on the lures but we hadn't fished in a bit and just wanted to stretch some lines.

Coach!
                      I kept looking around thinking... and where is his place. hahahhaha one day!

Hey Rockfish, Good to see you hit the water too. Hope you made it out and found some fish. I'm pretty familiar with the Pass and it's sand bars although you know the pass... changes with every tide. I used to wade it but after it started making huge changes by the bridge I decided by boat only, plus you can find jsut about whatever fishing conditions you wish to key in on at the Pass. I have a feeling the front of Bird Island where water splits left and right is a great trout/red fish spot. We picked up a few in the eddie popping the line to bounce the bait in and out of the roots just off the island but the water was coming in too hard and fast. Another day, diff conditions and it would have been killer there too.
                      I saw you overthere at bird island and your right, that water was moving fast. And when it changed, it seem not to slack. Just reversed at full speed! We changed to mullet to and lost a few reds at the boat and landed a bunch of decent size sandies and one speck at 17". That water sure was clear.
                      "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

The water was beautiful!!!
                        and you're right... one minute your bait is going out towards the gulf and then the current swung hard and fast. In less then 5 minutes I could throw at the front of the boat and had my bait trailing the back in about 8 seconds. I knew it was time to move.

Comment

What a great report! Sounds like fun.
                          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Move and groove, great job!
                            A Living Legend

Comment

Slamming report!Those pompano aren't any good let me know if i need to pick them up.LOL
                              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Working...
                              X