One Inch Over and Under - 7 Dec 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Inch Over and Under - 7 Dec 2010

Met a couple of fellow kayak fishing buddies on the north shoreline of East Matty. It was a cold, blustery day with winds ENE at 12-14mph and gusts around 20 mph. Yes the weather folks have failed us again , but we paddled out and made a good go of it for 3 hours with nothing more than a lone trout picked up on a gulp under a popping cork. There was no bait, no swirls, no birds and no fish , so we paddled in and loaded up for a drive to to the western shoreline. With the ENE winds we were hoping the bait AND fish may have been pushed up on the western shoreline. We started our paddle up one of the canals and that wind was right in our face, but we did see signs of life with bait. Got to the mouth of that canal, looked around to see if anything was working and saw 2small gulls trying to work. Chunked the trusty KFM into their direction and had my first bite and hook-up of the day! It was nice to finally have a fish in my lap and this was a 19" red, just a tad short so a quick photo and back into the water. Those 2 gulls were still working a little bit, so I set up a drift and threw my sock out to slow me down as it was pretty windy. As I was passing through some shell I got an abrupt stop to the KFM and the drag started singing . After about 8 or 10 minutes I finally got a glimpse of her and she looked to be a little over the slot, she got a look at me and took off again, drag screaming. Finally wore her out and had a really nice, healthy red in my lap. Hollered at my buddy to come over with his gripper and tape as I had left mine on the porch at home. Gripped the red and we strung the tape on her. Yep, my hunch was confirmed as she was 29". My buddy took a pic (thanks) and I placed her back in the water to repopulate. Made a few more drifts and did some exploring, but no more fish, so we all headed back in where my buddy picked up a nice 21" trout just inside the mouth of that canal on that same gulp/popping cork. The day was crappy, the fishing was SLOW, but it was a great time on the water with some fellow kayak fishing buddies .

Times fished: 8-11am & 12-4pm
    Winds: ENE 12-14 mph with 20 mph gusts
    Water temp: 59 deg
    Water: clear to 2'
    Bait: TTF KFM in Morning glory (what else for me )

Happy Fishin'
    chicken
    Attached Files
    Happy Fishin'
    Chicken

Thanks for the report.

Comment

Great and informative report-thanks Chicken!
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Thanks for the report! Very nice pictures.
        At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

great report and pics...thanks
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the report. Any day on the water is a good day and all the better with a few bites. Good reds

Comment

Great report and pics! That one probably pulled you around a little!
              sigpic
              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Working...
              X