Wanting to get a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to get a kayak

Are there any pointers or things I need to look into when purchasing a kayayk??

Here's the info. I'm 5'5, 90lbs, I kinda wanted a sit in one instead of a sit on top, ....um should anything else go into play? Does it matter if it's new or used?? I'm kinda broke so I kinda wanted a cheap one to start or should I just invest a little more??

Any info helps!! Thanks!!!

-Marco

If you are going to be fishing from your hayak, you want a sit on top (SOT), not a sit in. Fishing means a fair amount of getting in and out while on the water - much easier in a SOT. SOT's also have quite a few other features that make them much easier to fish from - like a tank well area in the back to easily carry tackle, cooler, etc.

A good used kayak is the way to go. You can find some really good deals on used ones on Craig's list or here.
    Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
    and
    Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

I recommend a sit on top as well. Used is always cheaper. For ur size i think a 12 ft would do well...Here is a link of a website were the post used kayaks. Good Luck

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...357e6109824cd0

Comment

Strongly agree on the SOT and a used one.
        I tend to prefer Ocean Kayaks and avoid Pelicans, but if it floats and is inexpensive to start with, go for it. As you spend time on the water you'll learn what you'll want to move up to or modify.

If you have the opportunity, field test a kayak and get a feel for the tracking, rigging (pole holders, anchoring, and tackle stowage).
        Several folk here would be willing to accompany you.
        At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

I agree with the SOT models. For your size you have a lot of options to chose from that will carry you and your gear but keep in mind a few things. 1) As Walker said you will be in and out, you will have a need to move around even if it's for comfort, or to get a better fishing angle, grab bait, lures, stringer... 2) the width of the kayak will determine it's stability. Try to look for one that has a decent width and stability so when you lean over to net the fish it will still feel stable. Stability changes depending on weight so go ahead and try a few to see what you like 3)The bottom surface of the kayak will determine how much you have to paddle to keep the same speed. If it feels bumpy, rough, it won't glide through the water as easily as one that's smooth. The hull shape will also have some effects on tracking 4)Even with a SOT you can get the back support needed, and safety that water will simply flow out of it when/if it washes over. 5)There are so many models with so much rigging. holds front and back. Rod holders... Even if yours doesn't come with holders they can be added but the holds are more important, and more spacious in models geared for fishing. 6)Talk to a few people that fish out of kayaks and see what they like, don't like..

Good luck and have fun!

Comment

correction... ONE HUNDRED and 90lbs... lol my fault...

and thanks a lot for the info guys... i just thought yak fishin' was just sitting in the boat and fishing from it, not going in and out?? like i mentioned, i am REALLY new at this... mostly because i'm clueless and dont wanna do the wrong thing...

anyway, all the info is really helping out... i just need to gather me some money (christmas shopping sucks!!!)

-Marco

Comment

At 190, you want a 14 footer. And yes - definitely stay away from Pelican. The good ones around here are Wilderness, Perception, and Ocean Kayak.
              Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
              and
              Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

The best advice you can receive is to paddle (or pedal) before you buy. There are several kayak shops in town where you can rent a kayak, paddle it (or pedal), fish it, etc. Everyone has the best kayak and yet there are many, many different ones around. For your weight, I agree a 14 footer is where you want to start. Just remember long and narrow = speed and less stability, while shorter and wider = slower, but more stable. For fishing you will definitely want a SOT because they self drain whereas a SINK does not self drain. You WILL get water in your yak, so heed the advice of all here and look at SOT's. The shops that rent kayaks who come to mind are ACK (Austin Canoe & Kayak), FTU (Fishing Tackle Unlimited) and Southwest Paddlesports. Any of those 3 will do you right and steer you in the right direction. Yes there are some kayaks that you pedal instead of paddling. Hobie uses a stair climber motion to pedal some fins back and forth to propel the kayak. Native makes a kayak you pedal like a bicycle and uses basically the bottom half of a trolling motor (without motor) for propulsion. Other suggested manufacturers are Wilderness Systems and Ocean Kayak. Oh and yes they have yaks with electric motors too. You can find all these boats by searching on the internet. Paddle or peddle or electric, make sure you try one before you buy one, whether it be used or new. My first choice in a kayak was not what I bought as I heeded the advice of many who told me to try one before I bought one. It was the best decision I could have made with my first yak purchase.
                Happy Fishin'
                Chicken

Comment

rtoler has a good used one for sale .
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Well I think everyone about covered it.

The best bargain yaks are the Mainstream Kingfish and Ocean Kayak Speck (used to be scrambler). They will run you ~$450 new and cheaper used. I would stay away from the Pelicans.

Get a decent seat and paddle.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                      rtoler has a good used one for sale .
                      Definitely check this one out! Excellent deal and good accessories. If I had the cash it would have already been sold!
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                        Well I think everyone about covered it.

Get a decent seat and paddle.

I'll re-emphasize the decent seat. A long time in the "saddle" really demands a third party seat (for me, one with a high back). The sling backs that typically come with yaks will reduce your comfort, both paddling and sitting.

Don't fret about whether yakking is for you or not. Try it out a few times and then decide. It's a different adventure...
                        At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

If you are serious about learning some areas I would install a depth finder. My dad had one on his kayak and it was awesome. Coupled with a handheld GPS you can really understand the layout of areas and probably the fish too.

Comment

depending on your use of it...You can always pick up a great yak...not to familiar yet about this site but as stated above tkf always has good buys...i have purchased my last 3 off there

Comment

Thanks a lot for all your help, guys. I'm still saving up some cash for when I find the right one now that I know what to look for.

-Marco

Comment

Working...
                              X