Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazos River

No freshwater board, so I'll post here.

I had to study this last weekend so I brought the yak, 16 juglines, a camp chair and the notes down to the mighty Brazos River

Man, I forgot how beautiful that river is. Didn't see a single person on it the whole time. Lots of wildlife. Killdeer doing their thing all over the place on my sandbar and got to chase around a beaver at night (no jokes please ).

Ended up with 5 nice 3lber bluecats, one just-keeper sized, and one fat 10lber. I broke one jug that had something tangle it up, and had a huge gar scale on one hook when I ran it. A buddy was there the first day and got one and had a big fish break him off. May have done better if the river wasn't really low, but I got plenty of nice river catfish meat. Dang good eatin.

I will definentely be doing that again!

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
    May have done better if the river wasn't really low,
    Those "marsh skills" didn't help you in the river ?
    Happy Fishin'
    Chicken

Comment

cool where did you launch 1462?
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Launched near 59 but I've been looking at that 1462 crossing for next time.

Comment

Would like to go Milkjug ,corndog has a good river boat we can use.
          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Lets go! I know it sounds weird, but that river bluecat is some fine eating. I actually like it over trout.

JUGS are waiting to be ran!

Comment

No i jonesin for some fresh!This country boy can sho ya'll how to run a trotline.I still pefer bluegills or perch.
              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

I hear ya. One of my goals is to catch a nice yeller cat (never even seen one), but it seems like so much work to keep perch alive and transport them, especially running them lines from a kayak.

I was using old frozen shrimp and spanish sardines, but I wasn't too happy with how they were staying on the hook. I think fresh bait is the way to go, and something with tough skin that can hold a hook.

Man, I just like learning new ways to fish, so I'm having a lot of fun runnin these lines. I started this year, and that was the first time running lines in a river. Those river blues are top quality, and the scenery can't be beat.

Comment

Well when you want to go ?

Comment

Last test is done at noon today and it's nothing but duck hunting and fishing until X-mas, I'm good for whenever. Will send a PM in a little while. Tomorrow looks nice just because it'll be warm. They say there's a front coming in late tomorrow evening.

Comment

are you up in sugar land now milkjug?

I haven't ran lines in the river in years. We use to pull 40lb yellows out of there back before they closed all the crossings.

Keeping perch alive ain't hard. They will keep in a bucket fine. We would cast net all our bait in ditches and set lines. You could also find some carp or buffalo for cut bait.

Comment

Gibbey we are not talking about the rio grande!

Comment

Gibby, I am still in Galveston. I don't mind hanging out in Sugarland though. Get to fish the river, and a good buddy of mine lives up there too.

Comment

dang.....so you are driving up from galveston to fish the brazos?

Comment

So where you want to set up Jug?

Comment

Working...
                              X