Kayak Light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Light?

How many of yall have a light on your yak? Did you buy it or make it? Any pics or suggestions?

I am wanting to get a light for the early morning, late afternoon and maybe fishing the lights on the bay fronts.

Thanks,

24Buds

I saw some over at academy. Have you looked there?

Also here's an LED light
    Last edited by Race1Mopar; December 14, 2010, 01:20 PM.

Comment

all you need is one of those ACR 360 lights... I use a PVC and place it a good 4' above my head you can see the light before the yak
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I have not looked at academy. I like the suction cup, but I was looking for something thats way above me. I think I will go with the 4 foot pvc and a light on that. Anybody build one with LED lights? I was thinking of making one, but not sure it will put off the light needed to be...legal at night. I think I read visable for a few miles. thats just not going to happen.

I'll righ somethin up and let yall know how it works. I found a site that sells led's with the correct resistor built into it for use with a 9volt. I think I am going to give that a shot. Should last for a while off a 9volt.

Comment

12volt LED lights for modeling project, top-quality, affordable. Elevate your models with radiant illumination. Ideal for various DC-powered hobby applications.

Check tis out if yall are interested in pre-wired led's. I think if you encase them in a clear watertight cover, you might be able to make this work

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
            all you need is one of those ACR 360 lights... I use a PVC and place it a good 4' above my head you can see the light before the yak
            Same, same...
            I use the battery LED light sticks ($5 or so) that you see at Academy or Homedepot and insert it in PVC pipe. I then also, use an LED hat brim clip light.
            At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Comment

Hey, that is a really nice 360d light, better output than the LED I've been using.
                At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Yea that looks like the way to go. I think building one will cost more after I mod it 7 times and buy 100 different things to make it work. Thanks. I think this is what I need.

Comment

It's a PFD C-Clip light its around $10 and can be found at West Marine or Academy. It runs off 2 AA batteries and is waterproof. I forget what diameter PVC I used, I just took it into Home Depot and found a piece of pipe that would fit.

Comment

That little orange one will make you legal, but its still gonna be very hard to see. Yes, you want any light to be at least above your head.

I've been meaning to make one too. I'm probably gonna rig it up for 12v and use the same batteries that I gig with.

Kudos on you for trying to be safe, that's one thing that a lot of folks (waders too) don't do. If I am out at night I generally stick really close to the bank, and flash my light around before crossing any channels. You still need to have your wits about you. One time you need to be extra careful is when paddling into the wind at night. It would be really hard to hear a boat coming from behind you (wind blowing sound away), and you wouldn't be facing it to see.

Comment

I don't know if this is leagal or not but I have actually bought the red and green chemicl stick lights and mounted them on my yak for evening trips. I know the boats can see them because I used one to flag a guy down.

Comment

also I mounted the green one of the end of an extra rod tat I had vertically in a holder.

Comment

Hard to beat the ARC light. Got my first set 6 -7 years ago. Before most people had the Walmart light with the 2 d cell batteries but it would certainly make a great fish club.

Rem with the suction cup you are not legal as the light has to be seen from 360 and that low it cannot bee seen from all directions.

That said I am not sure kayaking that a 10,000,000 candle power light will be noticed by some boaters.

When I used to kayak all the time I had two pieces of PVC that were connected with a straight connector and a second connector with the inside turned on one end so the ARC light would slide tight inside the coupling. This dropped into my rod holder on the back of my seat and extened over my head for a foot or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
                              Same, same...
                              I use the battery LED light sticks ($5 or so) that you see at Academy or Homedepot and insert it in PVC pipe. I then also, use an LED hat brim clip light.
                              These work great. Plus they have a lifetime guarantee on the batteries and at $5 if you destroy it in the salt it's easy to replace. I took off the colored end and flipped over the light bulb. This allows the white tube to fill with light. I mounted it in a piece of 3-4' long PVC...1/2" I think?

Comment

Working...
                              X