Trinity Spillway 03/01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Spillway 03/01

My dad's company got permission to fish inside the spillway and I was allowed to accompany dad as a guest. We've been 4-5 times before and have occasionally done well on trout but always got our limit of reds, sometimes in 30 minutes sometimes in 2 hours.

But today we were presented with 37 degree temps with 20-30 kt winds and tides at least 3-4 foot below normal. It was a little chilly. And to top things off the plant wasn't even running, so there was no warm water. We went anyways though and started fishing at 7:30 am. I hooked up pretty quick with a good red, I'm sure well over the slot, and fought him for 5 minutes or so until he got smart and raked my line of the oysters. 6-7 lost jigheads and several expletives later, I hooked up with my biggest striper yet, just shy of 20 inches on a stinky grub-tail gulp. After that, we couldn't buy a bite. Called it a day around 10 or so.

I also took some pics of the low tides.....

XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

That is a fat Striper. Thanks for the report.
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I was out in west bay today and it was very low! It tooks us 2 hours just to find a ramp we could put in at!! (It was my friends boat, not mine) We finally got in the water at 2004 and Choc Bayou around 9 and had to push pole our way out of the cut at the ramp. No fish, winds were howling and it was kinda chilly. Nice red and striper anyways. Its always fun to fish "private" waters.

M.M.
      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Nice fish Nathan.

I love fishing in the wintertime but I'm starting to look forward to some warmer temps and some emerald green water on the beachfront

Comment

Nice!! That Golf Course over there makes some good food!
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
            Nice fish Nathan.

I love fishing in the wintertime but I'm starting to look forward to some warmer temps and some emerald green water on the beachfront
            When we left today, it was GREEN all the way to the beach.
            I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

I love fishing in the surf for trout when the water turn green! Nothing like catching blacktips, jacks, spanish macks, lady fish, and specks all before 9AM!! Right Unclehandy!!
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by imhammer View Post
                That is a fat Striper. Thanks for the report.
                I didn't know if she was fat or if that's just how they look. I figured she was full of eggs but there were only 2 little undeveloped sacs, most of it was just guts and fat. I've never ate one before but I've heard they're good
                XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
                  Nice fish Nathan.

man I am so ready to bail off in the surf. nothing like tops in a flat green surf
                  XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

Comment

Yes sir!

007, Did you see any bait in the surf, and diving birds?

Comment

I saw a few birds working the surf this morning along the seawall, but not much. Didnt get close enough to look for bait. We almost stopped to fish the surf when we couldnt find a ramp to put in at, but decided to head north.
                      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                        I love fishing in the surf for trout when the water turn green! Nothing like catching blacktips, jacks, spanish macks, lady fish, and specks all before 9AM!! Right Unclehandy!!
                        You know it! And dont forget about the Jacks! Green sky at morning, sailor take warning. Green sky at night, sailor take flight!

Comment

Nice report.Congrats
                          NK
                          Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Working...
                          X