motor just dies while running.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor just dies while running.

The other day i was coming down the ICW and the boat just died. it about threw us off the boat. cranked it back up and we headed back to the dock. we were on plane crossing the bay and it did it again. then it wouldnt start back up. once we got towed in by a friend, it started on our trailer after hooking it up to a flusher. Our mechanic said it sounds like ignition problems. maybe somethings coming loose, i dunno. the motor is an 1994(or 96 i cant remember) 88hp evinrude.any one have any ideas? thanks

Mechanic would know better than me... There are a few places we can recommend, and one outfit on here will come to your boat house.

No alarms were going off? All fluids topped off?
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

yes, everything had been running perfect the day before. Im bringing it back to the mechanic just seeing if anyone had had this happen to them before.

Comment

Check the kill switch if it has one. Could be the culprit.
        Beandaddy

Comment

thought about that too, but it hasnt worked since we've had the boat. boats are funny like that though.

Comment

I would start the motor & wiggle the harness looking for bad connections like at battery,main connection under cowling,kill switch,ignition switch. Does your boat sit alot,check pick up/reluctor ring under flywheel for rust. It does sound like ignition problems.
            Today is a new day!!

Comment

I had the same problem with a 90 Hp Rude. Three or four minutes after it quit it would start and run just fine for a while and then quit again. After spending a over three hundred dollars at jerkoff boat mechanics, I discovered for my self that the oil lines inside the motor cowling were old, brittle and loose and that I was loosing oil and oil pressure. My motor has an oil tank and mixes the gas and oil at the engine. If there is an air or oil leak, the motor will automatically shut down. Mine was both sucking air and leaking oil. Once I figured it out for myself I fixed it for less than $5.00. My motor was generally an oiley mess just below the power head both inside and outside and I was forever getting oil on my shirts when I cleaned the boat. After I replaced the oil lines and washed the boat the motor is as clean as a new one. Good luck with yours.
              Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

@ RonE, I never thought about that, I will have to check that out. i mix my own gas though. Im going to go through all the connections this weekend when i get down to the boat. It rarely sits idle for more than 2 weeks. I appreciate all the input everyone.

Comment

Sounds like a loose power connection or maybe killswitch-the killswitch on mine was never mounted and was stuck up under the console but when it decided to act up, it wasn't gonna start-would just turnover with no spark. If a killswitch, it probably wouldn't "act up", it'd just die and not start but would turnover.

Did it turnover but not fire or was it dead and not even turnover? If it didn't turnover, it aint the killswitch-check all your connections at battery, sand them, clean them and re-attach them. Check you wires at ignition switch also. Do your alarms work? I doubt it's the oil lines since you pre-mix and bypassed the oil injection unit (I think the 88hp had oil injection???) and if ya did bypass, it should have bypassed the alarm also (the "red" plastic arrow like switch on top of the motor as I recall from good old Huey at redfish marine/Mako marine years ago) and likely will not go into shutdown safe mode due to bypassing.

Could be the power pack-that motor has 2 I believe and that sounds like what may be the issue after you check the electrical connections. Good luck and let us know.

I had a 1986 90 Rude until Ike-helluva a motor. Went through a lot of coils but they don't "kill" the motor, a bad coil (4 of them and only 1 usually goes bad at a time) just knocks down the rpm to about 2800 and goes in and out.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I would look for a loose wire on the power pack. Also you have classic signs of a power pack problem. Let it set and fires up and runs then will die all of a sudden. What happens is when it is cooleed down no short start running the motor it heats up and then short in the power pak.The way I diagnosed mine was when it quit idling and died I pulled the plug wire and put a spark plug tester to see if the plug wire was firing. Sure enough no fire. Swapped power pak and back up and running. If you need to buy one try this website. Saved me 100 bucks and delivered right to my door in two days. marineparts.com Good luck. Reeltimes motor was doing the same thing his was a feul pump. So if you eleiminate the firing issue may want to look at the fuel supply.
                    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

take a look at your fuel lines and your primer bulb
                      air leaks or a bad check ball can do that
                      Captain Glenn Stevens
                      Coastal Guide Service
                      www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

I had powerpack problems with my old boat but it would only die under load ( in the water)

Comment

I am having simular issues with y 80's evinrude. I have to adjust some little lever that controls the choke. My mechanic is ordering that part for me. I think its called a choke primer valve
                          Last edited by PasadenaMan; December 30, 2010, 12:44 PM.
                          NoBama

Comment

i am a boat mech in alvin. first you need to know what year it is because a 94 has a different wiring harnessthan a 96. easy way to find out is does your boat have a gauge with four little lights. second what kind of control box do you have. side mount or binnicle. and also what were you doing when it shut down ie were you jacked up on a jack plate trimmed out or trimmed under. maybe i can steer you in the right direction.

Comment

Again check the fire to the spark plug fire. If it does not fire then their is your problem. Like I said if you it dies and you check the fire and no fire its the switch box. Have you checked the fire to the plugs when it dies????
                              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X