My first report (late) - Sportsmans 12-17-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first report (late) - Sportsmans 12-17-10

Friday 12-17- dad and I had a guided trip in matagorda we planned weeks ago called off due to the front, but we were already off for the day and decided to fish anyways a little closer to home. Front was in full swing with wind at 10 to 20 from n-ne when we got to sportsmans around eleven. Prob not a good spot for that wind but we were limited bc I was using a yak and dad was wading and we only know the south shore.

Noticed right away while driving down sportsmans that there was no water in wb, could see all of confederate reef. Decided to take the opportunity to do a little sight seeing. Dad waded the gut behind the island and I set off in the yak dead into the wind towards confederate. There was one boat anchored up at the far east end of the reef and an armada of oyster boats in front of the island, other than that no one was out. I stopped at a pier just east of the small cove at the end of sportsmans to test my anchor out and made a few casts with a glow chartreuse fatboy. Immediately caught two rat reds. Water was surprisingly super green that day.

Moved on to the leeward side of the reef and got out and waded for awhile in a spot where I saw a few mullet. Threw the fb and a ttk in morning glory. Nada.

Decided to move on to s deer island to try to get some protection from wind. Setup on the west side of island on the windward side of a small reef running perpendicular to the island where I saw some bait. Switched to a chartreuse mirrodine xl and first cast stuck a 26 inch red right up next to the reef. Caught one more rat red there and moved on drifting from the other side of the reef back toward confederate. Finished up wading the south side of confederate again. Tried corky, mirrodine, 51mr and several ttk's, even a gulp under popping cork but no takers.

Did see a guy in a boat stick a nice trout in the spot where I finished my last drift. Headed in with the wind but against the current around 5 when the wind really started to pick up and temp started dropping. Noticed a couple guys wading the small cove about this time.

As I got in met a guy named Steve who posts here and told me about the site. He had helped dad jump start the truck as our battery had died, so big thanks to Steve. Both said they couldn't get a bite on the shell in front of the island. Chatted for awhile and Steve showed us some cool tricks on the navionics app for Droid. Packed up and headed home.

Would love to hear where I should have been on that wind in those conditions with no boat. Or more about color. The combo of green water and no light had me confused on color choice.

Anways tough day but beat working and can't wait to get back out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0872.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	553728

Comment

Nice report.congrats on the catch
      Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Very nice first report! Keep plugging away, you will find them.
        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Good report! Better luck than I've had at Sportsman's.
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

good report keep em coming
            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Good fishing and good job on the help steve!
              10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Great report and welcome
                A Living Legend

Comment

nice report and welcome to the site.

Comment

HELP!!!!

could you tell me how to find confederates reef because i have been to the end of sportsmans road multiple times and i still cnat find it

Comment

i'm not really familiar with confederate as I'm usually limited to the shore, hopefully people who know more will correct me if i'm wrong. but had a yak with me on this trip and bc water was SO low I decided to do some exploring. from what I could tell the reef runs pretty much parallel to sportsmans, actually it makes more of a > shape with the road. it's probably 2 or 300 yards off the shore with the main part running about the length from the island off sportsmans halfway back towards 8 mile road tapering towards the shore. i stopped at the first cut through the reef and ended up going around towards south deer island. from what I could tell this entire area seemed to be mostly reef even up to the island, not sure if that is all considered confederate or not. check out google maps and you should be able to see what i'm talking about. the way it looks on google maps is pretty much exactly the conditions i fished it in with the same portions of the reef exposed.

my question for the people that know is there a way to wade to the reef without floating your hat. i can't imagine the water being much lower than it was the day i was there, but i spot checked the depth on my way out and although it's plenty shallow in between the shore and reef there were still spots that would have been over my head. i'm' assuming there might be a way to get there when the water is low but it seems unlikely otherwise. anyone waded to confederate before?

i do know there is good shell in front of the island on sportsmans and I have waded out that direction before and caught trout.

hope that helps.

Comment

Nice report and welcome.
                        Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Great times. I bet you were a little tired after that.....

Comment

West bay

West bay has been on fire for me using mirrolures around the reefs on tide change fishing the in coming tide. Caught 2 solid reds every day since the 15th of this month on days with little or no wind. Most of the reds were in the 25-30" awsome fish to catch on a flatstalker getting pulled around with the big ones all were released except 2. Caught one trout last week 26" also on the mirrolure.

Comment

good report
                              the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X