468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep Cycle Marine battery opinions wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Cycle Marine battery opinions wanted.

As you may guess, my passion means hell to any battery and my flounder boat will be on its 3rd season this spring and my stock ( Continental ) batterys where failing late last summer so its time to invest in premium deep cycle batts, two of them.

In the past I bought 2 spiral wound batts from Academy, I think they where Exides or Orbital brands and they where monsters that lasted a long time, they where also very exspensive. These are the best batterys for my intended purpose that I'm aware of and will probably purchase them again unless someone has a better option for me so all replies are welcome here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

I tried other type batteries and they worked OK, but if you have an aluminun boat stay with the Gel Cell. Any acid spill will damage your hull. I learned the hard way. I purchased Optima from Sam's Club for my new boat. Mark from Northshore Marine told me they were the best. I also never disconnected or removed my batteries after each trip, which caused electrolysis to eat holes in the hull along each carpet covered running board. That was hidden from me, but after 8 years it destroyed the hull. Ouch!!

Comment

Bert i used the sealed ones when i had my allweld.Get with 007 about that place that sells batteries from nasa over in pasadena.
      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

2112, Went through all the Academy batts also. Did some research and found that the DieHard Platinum 30 series batt had the best reviews out of all deep cycle batts. Not Cheap! Went ahead and bought one, three year free replacement also. This batt takes less time to charge than any other batt I owned. Check the reviews yourself. I feel this is the best batt for the big buck!

Comment

Hey all, thanks for the repies.

Just finished some research on Orbital's and Optima's. I've learned they are basicaly the same design in that they are both sealed, AGM ( acid gas mat ), spiral wound batteries and the cheaper Orbitals actualy get more love.
          Both batteries are vibration / shock resistant, last twice as long and charge up twice as fast than standard marine dc's.
          I guess with tax I'm about to drop around $400 dollars for a set of batteries at Academy tomorrow-dayum! But you know what, it's like, "Hey, who wants to go flounder gigging all night every night for the next 6 years and not have to worry about battery failure! "

See you guys out on the water at night this spring!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
          Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

My trolling motor batteries are Optimas & are 9 years old, they are about 1/2 gone now after battery test. I bought 2 more for my business truck & they are 2 1/2 years old at 1/2 charge now,but they went thru more abuse. They all still work but half the run time now.Will be buying 2 more soon.
            Today is a new day!!

Comment

get the Walmart deep cycle. They have the warranty as well. I have had good long lasting experience with them. Plus, they are the cheapest around.

Comment

I've been using a battery from Battery Express Co. 805 S. Shaver in Pasadena 713-475-8700. The shop claims the batteries are purchased from Nasa as they must be replaced every couple of months on their generators. There in no brand just a black battery and off the crate it showed 13.5 on the volt meter. I've used it for 2 years and only charge it before I head out over night. It is my house battery for the live well, stereo and gps. It normally last for 2 days no problem (with out a charge). Oh...the best part it was $35.00. I think it cost more for me to drive and get it. My 2c worth.

Comment

Try these out...expensive as hell, but I think they're worth it. AGMs are not classified as hazardous material so they will UPS them to your house in a day...I think the distributor is out of Wharton....

Lifeline batteries manufacture deep cycle AGM batteries for consumers built to military specifications. AGM batteries made in the USA

Comment

Working...
                  X