Baffin Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffin Trip Report

Sunday Dec 26th my brother in-law (Kevin), one of his Hunting and Fishing buddies (Darrell), Mellwader (Albert) and I headed to the famed LLM to fish the sacred waters of Baffin Bay. We packed in Kevin's truck with his Flatscat in tow and we made the journey to the Bluffs Landing Resort our home away from home for the next 3 nights Monday morning we launched with high hopes, low tides and no wind, water temps around 51 and outside temps in the low 40's

Kevin and I have fished Baffin more than a handful of times, however, never in our own boats and we've always heard the horror stories of one wrong turn and you'll need a new lower unit. So, my Bil packed an extra lower unit and another set of props for his TRP. Kevin is a mixture of a modern day Daniel Boone and Mciver. With Albert as our guide and navigator the boat escaped harm and I must say, he was calm cool and collected and I was nervous because it always turns into ADA. Another Dillard Adventure. Could honestly write a book about Kevin's trips to the mountains and at least have two chapters in POC. Back to day one, we fished all the winter spots early and made a run to Alazon to check conditions but no bait to be found, jumped back in the boat and headed to a some spots in Baffin holding bait, fished one area and had no takers (all cowards) and decided to try the honey hole we started in, my second cast had a huge red take it, went kinda north and the rest of the boys went south, I wish I went with the rest of the guys, that is where Kevin caught the 28 3/4 8 lb. big girl pictured. We did catch fish on and off all day, some 20's a 22 that went 5 lbs. and lots of Reds
    The rest of the day consisted of checking out some spots in The Meadows, no water, and a few places on the way in on the King Ranch Shoreline.

Next thing ya know we've had supper and were up and launching the boat, day 2.
    As discussed the night before we wanted to be on our spot before anyone else so we ran the 18 mile shoreline to Baffin in the dark, temps up outside a bit, water temp up and a little more water back in the bay. More high hopes and the ED special tied on I am ready for that 30 inch club, the great thing about Baffin~~~~every cast could be the one!!! We tried that spot with a few fish wanting to play but no big ones, we decided to get in the boat and fish inside the tide gauge since the water seemed to be returning to the bay, we all jumped in, I went south they went north, I found no bait, and Darrel hooked a lifer that broke him off on some old pylons. I missed that fight as well. So my job the rest of the trip was to be in Alberts back pocket cause it was either gonna be him or me with the next opportunity. We returned to our honey hole again, that is where I caught a 25 inch fish that went 6 lbs. The crazy thing about it was she hit and missed my E D Special twice before she got it and it was within 10 yards of me, I was like REALLY at any rate a good fight and she was on her way. We fished that area hard tried a spot on The Badlands and one on the King Ranch Shoreline in the way in, caught a few more little ones, dinner and hit the sack for one last day of hope.
    Day 3 was gonna be the one, woke up to rain and way warmer temps with water temps closer to 62 with a slight south wind early as the day progressed the wind did also, perfect conditions in the morning and becoming a typical Baffin windy day. We caught more redfish and some trout worked the honey hole over all day, no big fish tons of bait and essentially had the whole bay to ourselves.

All in all, the three days went by way to fast, I really enjoy that part of our Texas coast and mostly enjoyed the company I fished with. Albert thanks my friend, I enjoyed every moment!!!!

A few more pics of the trip
    Attached Files

Comment

Neil, awesome report! It was indeed a great pleasure to fish with you guys. Kevin is one of a kind. He is certainly the mondern day MacGyver, and a "Grinder" like no other. I absolutley dig Baffin. We really had it to ourselves for three days, which is rare. That big girl is waiting for us next time. Albert

Comment

Ya'll are so good you sux!Great Report Neil!
        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

More pics
          Attached Files

Comment

sweet! sounds like a good time.
            the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Great report and glad you guys had a great time. You never know when the big girls you want will show up.

Comment

Great report guys......Sorry I couldn't get away and join you guys. Next time I am there!
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Man Baffin i miss it,good report!
                  10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Working...
                  X