The 21st century pot licker....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 21st century pot licker....

Been doing a lot of wading around Sportsman Rd lately. Not catching much but some good leg burn from all the walking around and exploring. I carry a Garmin handheld GPS that I got from Academy a while back and hacked it so I could upload the software for free (guilty). It tells me tides, minor/major fishing times based on my location, tracks, tracksback, speed etc etc etc.

One thing I have started making a habit of, is taking notice of the shallow draft boats that come in, set up shop and slay the fish. I assume these people are either guides, or very knowledgeable old geezers that KNOW WHATS UP! On to the 21st century pot licker title...

When I see boats like this that are near me, I bust out my gps and guestimate how far away they are and mark the spot with the time/temp/date/tide and then load the waypoints with google earth overlay. It is amazing what a little detective work can do for ya. I can see the what edge of reefs, drop-offs, guts, channels these guys are fishing.

I need to archive the current galveston area sat images on google maps cause I cant imagine the updated images being taken at any lower of a tide or clearer waters.

A friend of mine works for a cell phone co. as a tech. He said all he would have to do is look up a guides phone # & put it in,then track them with the signal from their phone. You could see where they launch & follow them thru the bay.
    Today is a new day!!

Comment

Explore!! It's much more fun to fund and catch them than trying to pirate someone's hard work and effort. Not saying that you shouldn't investigate what you see, but there are so many areas that aren't fished well and that guides don't freequent, well, just trust me, the reward of learning stuff as you go will stay with you far longer and have greater meaning to you in the long run.
      http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Wow technology, I think wade fishing with a PFD is the best way to find drop offs!!!!! and feel structure underneath..

Comment

Way to go Sherlock !!
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Cool, that sounds good as long as you don't move in while they are there. I have checked out areas I've seen fisherman in once they leave and found good structure.

Comment

I completely agree. Maybe I should have titled the post differently. I'm not really "potlicking" because I can't get out as far as the boats, but marking the spot and then checking sat overlay images is a good tool to answer the question "what the heck does that guy know that I don't"

Comment

wow,tech wrecks... went from texting while driving to stalking people. theres been many of miles of shoreline walked and learned.... i remember years ago wading out mesquito island so far that coming back in when its dark and high tide when islands covered in water... just following the break in current over the island shell off the bait shop lights...now thinking about it probably wasnt to smart since theres a deep hole out there...

Comment

my phone has google maps. I can open google maps, zoom into where I am at and see how the structure is around me. Pretty cool. Phone is pretty accurate for being a phone.

Comment

Working...
                  X