moving into town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving into town

Hello I'm moving from riverside ca to alvin tx I have fished trout with ultra light tackle I worked on tuna boats for a year and have done some inshore fishing.I have to leave my boat here(I was only half mine and half my brothers) so I will be shore bound or wade fishing. I was sad to leave so cal but it sounds like the fishing is pretty good so mabe it will be a good change. This is way different fishing than I'm used to. I have a lot of 4# to 8# spinning set ups and a 12#to 25# ..and 25# to 40#and a 30# to 45# set up I need some help on where to go ill use live shrimp as bait mostly. The weat bay looks like the area ill fish anyhelp would be great

Welcome aboard!
    You've hit the best site (IMHO) to get set up for fishing the West Bay. I'd recommend that you search the site for topics of discussion that have already occured. There is a wealth of info already here. Feel free to ask questions (ain't no stupid questions).

Be it wading, bank or kayaking (think about trying it), there's plenty of opportunity before a boat comes into play.
    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

I've hit a lot of sites and this site looks like it has the most info and friendliest people ill be in tx in feb. I've done some kayaking and like it but I have young kids so ill have to get a boat in the 20ft range

Comment

Welcome mikeymike
        There are still some good areas around that are good to fish without having a boat. During the summer the beachfront can be very good when the wind cooperates. The Boliver Pocket at the base of the north jetty is really good too. Other areas include the back side of the San Luis Pass. Very good areas from April through November. Just watchout for deep cuts and strong tidal flow. I would take someone that knows a little bit about the area the first few times. Skyline Dr. is another good area right by the Texas City Dike in Texas City. You can either fish from the rocks or wade it. Sea Wolf park over off of Pelican Island in Galveston has good fishing there aswell. You can wade in that area, fish from the rocks, or pay to fish off the pier.

Hope this helps a little bit

AQUA PIMP
        AQUA PIMP......
        "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

A first suggestion is to visit an Academy store and purchase a hotspots map of West and Galveston Bay. There are two types, one for wading, another for boating. The map will famliarize you with the locations of the locally named places mentioned in FWE posts, like confederate reef, sportsman's drive (and in a future edition, Kenny's reef ).

As you may have already read from posts, booking a trip with Aqua Pimp will give you some hands on guidance to the techniques here before buying a bunch of stuff (at Academy, shopping there can be addictive). The kiddos, depending on age might be able to go with you on the AP trip.
          At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
            A first suggestion is to visit an Academy store and purchase a hotspots map of West and Galveston Bay. There are two types, one for wading, another for boating. The map will famliarize you with the locations of the locally named places mentioned in FWE posts, like confederate reef, sportsman's drive (and in a future edition, Kenny's reef ).

As you may have already read from posts, booking a trip with Aqua Pimp will give you some hands on guidance to the techniques here before buying a bunch of stuff (at Academy, shopping there can be addictive). The kiddos, depending on age might be able to go with you on the AP trip.
            X2
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

My kids are 5yr(boy) 1yr(girl) and ill have another girl on the 12th of jan . My wife likes to go with me so fishing is a little harder with the new borns and ill get the maps. This is weird for me,to fish new places with new fish . I've caught every type of trout but a speck so that's exciting. Well thanks to everybody that has posted ill be fishing the first week in feb and ill post how everything went thanks and tight lines

Comment

Mike I moved here from Tahoe a while back and it is a complete different experience fishing here. Still don't know what I like better though seeing a trout come out of nowhere to nail a silver spoon in a crystal clear river or having a red slam a topwater. Nothing beats being out there by yourself on a stretch of river without all the noise and idiot fisherman, but the reds sure do fight good. There are plenty of people on this board that will show you some of their spots and give you tips on tackle. Most of us on here use artificials, but chip(imhammer) prefers dead squid when he can find it. Shrimp gets you a lot of trash fish in between the good ones. Let us know when you get in town and are ready to fish.

Comment

me and lurefisher and corndog are in alvin also we can show you some spots
                  MANVEL MOB

Comment

Thanks that would be great....is. squid hard to get in tx... if so I can bring 20 or 30#s from ca when I leave. And just pay me back ill see what we pay it shouldn't be alot

Comment

@fp10 Tahoe .... I fish the. Bridgeport and bishop area. East and west walker owens,hot creak ,twin lakes ,lundy everywhere around there. I've hiked A LOT of miles to small lakes too. That's the best trout area in the west imho.

Comment

Welcome and watch out for them people in Alvin!lol
                        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

welcome to Texas mikeymike!! I also am an Alvinite so welcome to the best little town in Texas. A good spot to wade , bank and even kayak is the Texas City dike. Just re- opened and in great shape for fishing.

Comment

Thanks pieman .do you know where the old yellow jacket building on 1462 is? That where my work is I was there a few weeks ago getting things ready and had to come home so my wife can have a baby I fished the choc..bay once and had fun ill be back in alvin in feb.if anybody knows someone that needs a job let me know I need 1 or 2 people that know there way around a tool box it will pay like 10 a hour I like to hire people that fish lol

Comment

Welcome Aboard!
                              Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Working...
                              X