• West Bay 3/3/09

Water - 2-3'
    Water Temp - 58
    Wind - SE 15 - 20
    Level - almost normal and rising
    Skies - Sunny
    Temp - 55-60
    Pressure - 31 and steady

GSB and I had what we thought (and hoped) was a great plan for today based on the weather and some reports from friends lately.
    The lunar tables said that the bite should be on between 4:30 & 6:30, so we had planned to run around coves and find some bait hanging in the warmer mud. We were going to find the best concentration of bait and then stay there for the predicted bite. The conditions were not what was expected (who can find a good weather man), but we stuck to the plan.
    We found the best bait in our 4th stop after drifting 3 spots with minimal bait and no bites. We decided this was where we were going to stay until dark. We bailed out and waded for about an hour and didn't get a bite. there were 2 other boats and a yak in the area and they didn't hook up either. The water was off color and it just didn't feel right. so we decided to modify our plan and run to where Scott had caught fish the yesyerday with his son.
    We got to his spot and I hooked up with a 15 1/2 incher on the first drift. Chucked her back and started to make the same drift again, but saw a few slicks in closer, so we drifted them a few times and I caught a 16" and an 18" on a corky devil. We didn't hook up again for about 15 minutes, so I told Scott about my favorite spot in the area and we decided to move over there and make a drift. The tide was moving pretty good through a cut in the reef and Scott hooked up with a nice 17" on a paddle tail, and then hooked up again with a hefty 24" a few casts later. He said it was my turn again, so I tied on a top and slung it right into the middle on the cut. Twitched it a few times and HUGE explosion, but she missed. Twitched again and a big slurp. I waited for what seemed like an hour to feel her on and finally felt the pull. She started ripping drag and Scott said " did you see the huge back on that red when she came out of the water?". She made several good runs and I finally got her up beside the boat to be pleasantly surprised to see a Big Trout! Scott finally got her in the net after a few stabs and I shook her off in the bottom of the boat. We didn't measure her until we got back home. She was 25 1/2", my new personal best. I am not sure what she weighed, neither of us has a scale.
    We made a few more casts and then decided to jump out and wade the reef, but the fun was over. Scott had 1 blow up, but didn't hook up.
    The solunar tables were right on the money. All fish caught between 5:30 and 6:30. 6:02 was peak time.
    It was a great day on the water. Thanks Scott for taking me out there!

Sorry, but the pics don't do the fish any justice. I will try to get a better one before cleaning them tomorrow am.

Last edited by imhammer; March 4, 2009, 12:48 AM.
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

very nice! congrats!
    "Nobody's so poor that democrats can't get rich screwing 'em."
    boom

Comment

Way to stick with "THE PLAN"...some times thats the hardest thing to do. Very nice catch guys and a special salute to your NPB!!
      Don't be a Nancy!
      If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Nice catching indeed.Congrats
        NK
        Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Beautiful fish Man! Way to hang in there and find em'

Comment

Had a great time out there Chip. Great company and some nice stink to boot!

I will add that the tails were worked quickly without touching bottom.

A little research and Spring break looks like "magic" again!

Scott
            Last edited by gsb; March 4, 2009, 07:43 AM.
            Scott
            "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Great report and catching!
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

awesome work!

keep the numerical data for us. it helps others make up their own "plan"

Comment

Man!!! Looks like ya'll caught the same exact fish!!!

J/K!!

Nice report, congrats!

Comment

Excellent catch and post!

Comment

Nice job, hopefully I can find some fish soon.
                      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Nice job guys!!
                        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny View Post
                          Man!!! Looks like ya'll caught the same exact fish!!!

J/K!!

Nice report, congrats!
                          2 people, 1 camera....might as well get them all in there with both!
                          sigpic
                          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Niceee..Awesome fish Chip.

I'm hoping to break the 25" trout mark on a topwater this spring..

Comment

TTU-

You'll need to drop by the FWE H.Q. and I'll put you on a 30" May 31, 2009... Right before the STAR Tournament they seem to like my canal for the last 4 years I've seen moby trout there that night!
                              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                              X