Scuba Accident - Harsh Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scuba Accident - Harsh Reality

Scary video of a diver becoming disoriented, apparently had to much weight and did not thing to dump weight or let go of something. Very scary and yes he does not make it. Watch at your own risk.

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

WOW...! The dude recorded his own death...

Comment

We can't fly or breathe under water, why push it?
      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

what was he entangled in?? wow
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty knarly.

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
            what was he entangled in?? wow
            He was down below 90 M that's almost 300' he was so out of it once he hit the bottom that he had no clue where he was you can see the regulator go out of this mouth. The dive should have been stopped once he started descending his buddy was no where in sight, it is also one of the main reasons I demand diving with a buddy. I have run out of air at 80' and max depth of 180' diving I can not imagine what 300' can do you to a simple math problem

X56
            _______

Took me 8 seconds on the surface & over 30 seconds (same problem) at 150' when I was getting my deep specialty.

Divers always wear weight belts to make us sink because we wear so much gear that make us buoyant we counteract it. I wonder what this guy was thinking. Why didn't he dump weight? He used up all his air very fast I have returned countless time to the boat calling off the dive etc. He was tangled in some sort of bottom structure, plant life etc
            Last edited by WestEndAngler; January 17, 2011, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Wow,i work 7 years with the Corndog offshore on dive boat's and i have seen some crap.Why was he alone ?
              10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

I have two friends that were hard hat deep divers for Oceaneering, breathing special atmospheres, decompressing for hours in the dark on a perch...not me brother.

Is it possible that the video was a training film and the guy fine? It just looks/seems "odd".
                "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                  I have two friends that were hard hat deep divers for Oceaneering, breathing special atmospheres, decompressing for hours in the dark on a perch...not me brother.

Is it possible that the video was a training film and the guy fine? It just looks/seems "odd".
                  I agree Kenny makes you wonder...

Comment

I love scuba diving but that is the worst fear I always have is drowning.

I agree though, this vid seems odd. If the guy was an instructor, there was alot of things he did wrong.

Comment

No thanks-had ear surgery and can't get below 15-20' w/o problems. It aint a "play sport" - it's like flying a plane-one mess up and you're dead.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                        _______

Took me 8 seconds on the surface & over 30 seconds (same problem) at 150' when I was getting my deep specialty.
                        This is one of the major problems with diving today........You were getting your deep specialty........So you were basically paying someone to take you deeper than your comfort zone. But what the heck, you get to add another badge/card to your collection. After a point, you get no better without personal experience, that you cannot buy.
                        Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

My take:

Look at his buddies dive gear... sleeveless wetsuit, regular SCUBA goggles, one tank, no hood. No reason to assume the deceased diver had anything different.

I bet they were going for a shallow dive, maybe using a bad mix of nitrox and started getting loopy. Realized how far down he was, was too far out of it, panicked, and paid the ultimate price.

I mean, who the hell dives down to 92 meters (298ft) without at LEAST a dry suit, gloves, helmet air and more than one regulator and backup tanks. Even IF he had proper gear, he descended 300 ft in 3 minutes, you should never exceed 75ft/min.

Comment

Originally posted by RonE View Post
                            This is one of the major problems with diving today........You were getting your deep specialty........So you were basically paying someone to take you deeper than your comfort zone. But what the heck, you get to add another badge/card to your collection. After a point, you get no better without personal experience, that you cannot buy.
                            I think max we could legally go was 120' on recreational dive so we hung around that number for awhile watched how we burn through air then made our way up to 80' then 60' then slow and silent to 15' before 5 min safety stop. I dove with 2 highly trained PADI & NAUI instructors, one master instructor.

I went from Open Water Diver having ~200 dives on me to Master Scuba Diver I dove ~ 100 times that month averaging just over 3.5 dives / day

I don't carry around any of my 10 or 11 specialties. Just my Master, Advanced, Open water & Rescue Diver. I have cards for them all, right off the top of my head

Night
                            Deep
                            Wreck
                            Multilevel
                            AWARE
                            Search & Rescue
                            Underwater Naturalist
                            PPB (peak performance buoyancy)
                            Underwater Navigator
                            Photography (film) do not have digital yet because it wasn't around then LOL

Comment

I am not trying to say that training is not good, just that it is seldom a subsitute for experience. I also contend that experience without knowledge teaches one very little.

All of the PADI and NAUI specialities in the world do not substitute, even a little bit, for experience.

I mean, who the hell dives down to 92 meters (298ft) without at LEAST a dry suit, gloves, helmet air and more than one regulator and backup tanks. Even IF he had proper gear, he descended 300 ft in 3 minutes, you should never exceed 75ft/min.

Pray tell, why shoudn't you exceed a 75fpm descent rate? I am guessing that it was a PADI instructor or manual. Here is a question:

If you do a breath hold bounce dive to 60 feet looking for lobsters and return to the surface, does the dive count so far as Residual Nitrogen Time is concerned?

Consider this: Bottom time starts when you reach the bottom, provided it is a direct descent. (Descent time doesn't count) The time to ascend to the surface counts as bottom time. Three hundred foot dives require some decompression. The US Navy still teaches 60 fpm assent rates, the common civilian agencies teach 30 fpm. The US Navy tables require no "safety stops" for no decompression dives whereas most civilian agencies do.

The major problem with diving to 298 fsw is not that it is too deep without a dry suit, helmet, back up regulator or other equipment but rather that the pp O2 exceeds two atmospheirs at 297fsw and people are subject to Oxygen Toxcicity at that depth. (which may precipitate a gran mal seisure)
                              Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

Working...
                              X