Strangest Fish I've Ever Caught

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strangest Fish I've Ever Caught

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Caught this feisty little dude on my first cast yesterday morning from my canal bottom bumping live shrimp. Never seen one of these before in my life and boy was he ticked! Tried to bite me every time I went to grab the hook.

Called a Sculpin and apparently they make great trout bait up north.

It's not a Sculpin, and they are very common here, we call them Toad Fish or Dog Fish, it's a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_toadfish.

Comment

We caught one of those the other day in kemah. Man they are ugly! We caught it on bottom with a huge finger mullet lol.
      I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny View Post
        It's not a Sculpin, and they are very common here, we call them Toad Fish or Dog Fish, it's a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_toadfish.
        Interesting. I think you're right about that. It was caught around a bunch of oysters and immediately sought shelter beneath shells after I tossed him back. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

You're right about the feisty! I've had chomp down on the pliers many a time. Keep those fingers away!

Comment

Popper in the morning Popper in the evening

Comment

i used to catch them when i was a kid of my grandparents pier off tiki island, & have caught one on a storm lure one time bumpin slow on the bottom, we always called um "dogfish"
              Think like a fish no matter how weird it gets…

Comment

Yep, dogfish, and they will bite the carp outa ya!
                I was raised by an old Cowboy, therefore I am.

Comment

you are a dogfish mikey

Comment

I've also heard them referred to as mother in law fish! Lol
                    Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

hahahaha. That's a good one, Primer

Comment

looks kinda like my mother-in-law!

Comment

Grew up in La. calling them oyster fish. They truly look like an oyster laying there on the bottom. Good camo. I've also heard of Mother in Law fish. And that makes sense too, given their disproportionately large mouths. Here in Texas I've heard them called dogfish, and that's ok I guess, but the name was already taken by a type of shark, called a dogfish.
                          From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Strangest thing I have caught lately? I caught a 3" piggy perch on a 4" Super Spook on Estes Flats this weekend? That fish had attitude! Should have snapped a picture of him holding on the treble hook that was 1/3 as long as he was.
                            "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

X2 but mine was on a big skitterwalk

Comment

Working...
                              X