468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Eat Gafftop Or Hardhead Catfish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Eat Gafftop Or Hardhead Catfish?

Only had a short time on the bay this Sunday morning near the Galveston Causeway Bridge and only had dead shrimp for bait so a Gafftop and a Hardhead Catfish was all that was caught. When I look them up on the Internet I get the impression that only a dying person going to hell would ever eat these fish. I've eaten freshwater catfish all my life but am not familiar with these two salt water types. What's the story on eating them? Thanks...

I do not keep them. But catch them more than any other fish.

Comment

Just go buy fish if you're contemplating eating those.. Bleh.. Croaker, Whiting and Sand trout on the other hand, are great table fare.
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I'd just as soon eat a dead skunk. there's a guy here (RC) that has a freezer full of them and really enjoys them.

Comment

My grandparents tell me that they were eaten normally back in the day, the blue cats (gaftops) (longer whiskers )
          FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

Gafftops can be eaten. They have small filets and it is white meat. Only eat a Hardhead on a bet.

Comment

I've heard people say gafftop are eatable . But , i think a dying person going to hell would rather forego further punishment and hurry on to the nether world .
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Gafftop taste like Redfish to me and Specs are just a tad better.
                Can't compete with Mr Flounder.

The coonuses should be able to make em taste like Mahi Mahi or used in a stew.
                "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Keep it simple guys!!! NO
                  We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogie70 View Post
                    Keep it simple guys!!! NO
                    X2

Comment

Originally posted by mgstei1 View Post
                      Gafftop taste like Redfish to me and Specs are just a tad better.
                      Can't compete with Mr Flounder.

The coonuses should be able to make em taste like Mahi Mahi or used in a stew.
                      Mike, you can start saving me your trout! Lol!
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Sometimes my Grandma asks for a couple of gafftops. To this day, I don't ask what type of fish she uses in her soup because it may ruin it for me.
                        Resident Ninja

Comment

I know Moonpie that use to post on here targets Gafftop at the pass at night with light. He loves catching the and eating them.

AQUA PIMP
                          AQUA PIMP......
                          "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

well that's true also. that's why RC and moonpie are running buddies. they claim to have a killer recipe to microwave them like they do sheephead.

Comment

I caught one once. They taste like freshwater catfish. Guess it depends on how you cook it. Lord Bless.
                              robert
                              And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X