468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Eat Gafftop Or Hardhead Catfish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never eaten either one. But, I've read several articles about Jack Crevalle being eaten in Florida, conventional wisdom around here is that they are inedible....
    I wouldn't have a problem cooking a gafftop, but I won't allow one on my boat because of the slime.
    Give it a shot and report back.

Comment

Most people that say gaftop is nasty prob hasn't even tried it. Catch one clean it put it in grease and try it. Do I go out targeting gaftop? Never. but on a tough day on the water I'll put one in some grease.

Comment

Got out and ran the boat. Had bad gas, bad plugs ,bad start, Puttered out to the 20th buoy in Choc. and fished channel drop. Water turned a little less muddy but still kinda fresh.
        This is I believe my personal best on Gafftop!
        I did however return him to his nest but I placed my " Turn Texas Blue" wrist band over his tail and it was a great fit for him!!
        I'm hoping JT or Boom or Kenny capture him. I know they wont be able to stand seeing blue on even a poorly low life GaffTop and attempt the removal.
        I did leave some slime on him for them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	44thBD 008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	561887
        "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

I ate many of them when I was a kid. They don't taste all that bad, but just a pain to clean, like a sheepshead. We put all of them on a stringer. And make sure you get all the red out of the fillet.

Comment

They taste fine. I recommend cutting out the bloodline, just like on redfish. If you cook them for a big fish fry no one will know the difference.

Comment

I was told they were oily and should be fillet'd and wrapped in newspaper for a while before cooking to remove some of it.
              Green grass and high tides forever
              Mike Mathena

Comment

They may be oily and I have heard of a lot of ways to cook fish, but I have never heard of the method. Methinks someone was BS'g you.

Comment

Working...
                X