Headed to west bay in august

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headed to west bay in august

GOING TO BE STAYING ON WEST BAY 8/7-8/13 AMD WANT TO FISH DAILY. ANY SUGESTIONS OR TIPS ON WHERE TO FISH WOULD BE EXTREMELY APPRECIATED. WILL HAVE MY BLUEWAVE AND SEVERAL FAMILY FISHERMAN READY TO CATCH FISH. I HAVE FISHED THERE BEFORE BUT IT HAS BEEN SEVERAL YEARS. HELp!!!!!!!!!

I have heard good reports from the jetties but you need to get there early.

If your wanting to stay in West Bay I'd fish the coves on the south shoreline & just try to find protected water.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

COE is dead on... really hot in August... you'll find some reds in the coves ... if you can run shallow... might try greens or Karakawa lakes as well.
      TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

I'll have my bluewave. and can fish just about any where. thanks for the tips. keep them coming. I'll be sure to report what we catch and where. Any suggestions on bait. usually throw cocaho in variety of colors. What is new artificial bait to try?

Comment

Texas Tackle Factory soft plastics (Filler Flats Minnow etc) also Gulp jerk shads are always sure to attract a fish. If you haven't seen these they come soaked in an attractant & are actually pretty popular. Big Nasty Baits are very good too... Most can be found at Academy or local outdoors store.

Get live shrimp they are good size right now and throw out popping corks or as I suggested just free-line a shrimp out behind the boat near the rocks with some type of light weight on it (split shot etc)
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
            I have heard good reports from the jetties but you need to get there early.

If your wanting to stay in West Bay I'd fish the coves on the south shoreline & just try to find protected water.
            This sounds like solid advice. I would definitely add to go download google earth and pull up a map of West Bay. If the winds not blowing too hard then you are golden (and lucky - with all this heat we are getting it's windier than usual) San Luis Pass is always a safe bet keying on birds/slicks/baitfish that you see. If the wind is blowing (10-15+) find out which direction and fish protected spots accordingly from google earth. After you find a few, search the forums for those spots you found on google earth for tips on the general area and navigation of those spots (and also what people like to use bait wise).

For finding fish, live shrimp fished under a popping cork will be hard to beat. Make sure you have a good aerator. If you go artificial, salt water assassin's seem to work really well and they are easy to fish - darker colors i.e. morning glory w chartreuse tail and 1/4 oz. jighead in the morning and lighter colors like chrome/chartreuse when the sun starts coming out. A standard moderate retrieve works well as the paddle tails will do all the action for you. Mix it up till they bite.

Good video on rigging/working them here: http://www.texastacklefactory.com/in...d=5&Itemid=111

Good luck dood!

PS - Or you could just be like me and PM the hell out of people so they can show you special tactiks!!! ;D
            Last edited by ubermensch1324; July 15, 2011, 09:00 AM.
            I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

Working...
            X