FL Report- Lesson Learned Allways Carry a Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FL Report- Lesson Learned Allways Carry a Camera

Took the skiff down to FL for the past 2 weeks on a family vacation. Didn't really get to do any serous fishing until the in laws, and the wife left. Weather was horrible but perfect at the same time. On Saturday the weather was solid rain until about 10 am. I was fishing the dock behind the house waiting for a window to open up just messing around. Was throwing a 19MR 50 over some adjacent grass beds, and first cast catch a solid 18 in Trout. Next cast, 17 in trout. 5 casts, 5 fish. With the recent full moon and high tide I guess they were up on the grass beds spawning. Well this continues for a little while longer. Then I hook another trout and as I am bringing it up to the dock, and all of a sudden a MONSTER gator trout comes up chasing the trout I had hooked. Looked like she was almost trying to eat the trout on my line. Well luckily the trout on my line comes unbuttoned and the big girl is slowly swimming away. I quickly swatted the mirro-minnow on the water and she came right up and ate it. Lesson learned, that if you come unbuttoned from a trout in a school, let the lure hang there for a second as a bigger trout may be looking for what the other fish burps up.

So I am on a dock, by myself that is about 4 ft above the water, no net. I navigate the big girl down as far as I could, but unfortunately there was a boat on a lift. So I did what any other angler would do in my scenario, I jumped off the dock, swam into waist deep water and landed her. She measured from butt of rod to first guide (actually a little past the first guide but I will call it first guide). She wasn't very fat (I guess from spawning) but rather long, lean and beautiful. I kept her in the water the whole time and let her swim as soon as possible. Of course I didnt have a camera on me, but it wasnt worth killing her for. Literally a minute after I climb out of the water, get myself situated my uncle comes out scratchin his nut's, bed head hair in full affect and says "what's up?". Butt to guide measurement was 33.5 in.

Also got my PB red same day, about 30-40 pounds. I have a pic of her below. 8lb test, same mirrow-minnow as the big trout. Had some fun sight casting with the fly rod also. Weather didn't cooperate for Tarpon, but still ended up well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	569763

congrats!!! I've seen a few over 30" here in Texas. The ones I have caught had ALL already spawned. Nice fish & great report.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Great story and a heck of a nice fish! Way to go!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Congrats on the trout, and that is a NICE red!!
        You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

Biggest trout I ever seen ATE a 10in trout that I had hooked on a tout. 5 minutes later boat side she shows herself everyone freaks. MAke one more pass down the boat and she headin into the net when she BURPS and up comes my trophy still hooked in the throat as she disappears off into the sandy green water. We kinda all sat there in not real sure of what had jsut happened but we measured the trout for kicks that she had made totally disappear in here mouth and verified its length at 10in.

Great story. Thanks for the report.
          Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

Great story.Sounds like you had fun.
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by smooth move
              where were you in fla. we try to make a fla.
              Choctaw Bay near Destin.

Comment

Man, what a trip. Thanks for sharing.

Great pic by the way.

Comment

Awesome story and great Red. I not been to Fl. in a long time. I would love to go fish that area. Destin has the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on. I have been to to Hawaii. Great job.

Comment

Great report. Thanks for the picture. Awesome
                    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Working...
                    X