• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monofilament Line Recycling Program - COG

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Galveston Launches Monofilament Line Recycling Program
    West End Collection Sites Now Available; Program Expanding to Seawall

GALVESTON, TX (June 26, 2012) – Did you know monofilament fishing line is non-biodegradable and can last up to 600 years in the aquatic environment? The City of Galveston recently installed 24 monofilament disposal stations at west end beach access points to encourage anglers to properly dispose of line. Over the next week city officials will expand the program by adding stations at each of the rock jetties along Seawall Boulevard.

Monofilament is single-strand, high-density nylon fishing line used on fishing reels. When improperly disposed of monofilament fishing line causes devastating problems for marine life and the environment. Marine mammals as well as sea turtles, fish, and birds can become entangled and injured, or mistakenly ingest the line, often dying as a result. Human divers and swimmers are also at risk from entanglements and the line can damage boat propellers as well.

“It’s important that anglers dispose of fishing line responsibly,” stated Paul Booth, City Environmental Services Superintendent. “Throwing line in the garbage can doesn’t mean it won’t end up in the environment. It often blows out or is taken out by birds or animals.”

The city has installed monofilament disposal stations at two dozen beach access point along the island’s west end. Another 40 recycling stations will be installed along the rock jetties in front of the Seawall this week. These white PVC stations are easy to identify and bare the city’s logo. City crews collect the line and send it to Pure Fishing’s Berkley Conservation Institute for recycling.

Moving forward the city hopes to continue expanding the program by forging partnerships with local businesses and civic organizations. If you are interested in hosting a station at your business or in your neighborhood or volunteering please contact Mr. Paul Booth, Environmental Services Superintendent, by calling (409) 539-2381.

Remember to immediately report wildlife tangled in improperly discarded line. If you see a marine mammal tangled in fishing line, contact the Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network by calling 1-800-9-MAMMAL. To report a nesting sea turtle, hatchlings, sea turtle eggs, or an injured or dead sea turtle on the Texas coast call 1-866-TURTLE5.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Great! Thanks for posting.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

We have a cylinder at lutes marine on chocolate bayou too....
      FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Is it only for mono? or is it all fishing lines? I use spiderwire braid.

Comment

Braid needs to be treated the same way. I believe they have one at the 2004 ramp also!! Fishing line is a killer on lower unit seals. Pull your prop I'll bet 90 percent will find some line behind it. Good maintenance too check every now and then.
          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

What about FWE hosting a station or two. Say, one at the West End Marina (JT?)
            At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Working...
            X