Yamaha low water pickups on 18' Shoalwater flats - Nosecone or Cavitation Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
    I can run in 3". Just can't stop or I'm screwed.
    Even with me on the boat....
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Yamaha low water pickups on 18' Shoalwater flats - Nosecone or Cavitation Plate

Yea you've seen it. Unfortunately you've seen me stop too.
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Common sense tells me that if I have 10" between the pickup and the bottom of the skeg I can't run shallower than that 10" at the max.

But I still haven't gotten the question answered as to whether the cav plate or nosecone will improve that. I might just go ahead and buy the nose cone from Bob's. Anyone out there installed one of these? Or can anyone out there weld aluminum? I can do all the epoxy work after the weld has been complete. Here's a link to the weld that would need to happen on the nosecone.
        http://www.bobsmachine.com/installation.cfm Scroll toward bottom of page.

Comment

Cav plate, it had on it does well. Motor is done by the way
          Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
          (AKA Evans Marine Services)
          4340 19th St.
          Bacliff, Texas 77518
          http://evansmarine.net
          http://boatwerxtx.com
          main@boatwerxtx.com
          281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Just wanted to send an update on this one.

I took off the 'whale tail' that was on my Yamaha 90 and added 40lb Smart Tabs. This weekend in Halls Bayou I got on plane in 10-11 inches of water. There was a very soft mud bottom, thank goodness, and I also had the jack plate all the way up. I think the Dettwiler jacks that thing up 8 inches!

I finally got the Smart Tabs adjusted to the #4 position and have had little problem getting on plane at all. The #4 position seems to work with the flat bottom Shoalwater as I'm not having the porpoising problems I had with them set at the lower settings.

Anyway, we killed the reds that day too which was nice!

Comment

Even my Flatscat won't run in 3" of water. There's not enough water pushing through the tunnel for the prop to push against anything.
              "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I run a 21 shoalwater cat with a evinrude 200 with a cav plate, I have been in about 6 inches and adjusting trim tabs also. I had no issues at all. I try not to run any shallower than that, I saw a guy running shallow one day and hit something and really screwed up his engine. Best of luck

Comment

Working...
                X