Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little different request - Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

Hello West End Angler friends,

I wanted to send an email regarding a cause that I’ve decided to take on this year. I have volunteered quite a bit of my upcoming time to the Houston Livestock and Rodeo Steer Auction Committee. I am asking for donations to this cause by purchasing a steer from the show. This might not be for everyone as the steers can be quite expensive however I know that there are some of you out there who might be interested in this as either a personal donation or a donation on behalf of your company. This is a cause that I feel strongly in and believe the youth in Texas are truly being helped by this.

I have provided some information below as to what the Steer Auction Committee is and what we provide for the State of Texas youth. Please feel free to PM me or give me a call and I will reply promptly.

Your donation goes directly in to the HLSR scholarship fund, to be distributed to deserving and qualified Texas college students. Since the show began in 1932, more than $330 million has been committed to Texas youth. Currently, more than 2,000 students are on show scholarships, attending more than 100 different Texas colleges and universities. As a standalone committee, in 2012 the Steer Auction Committee(SAC) raised $2,759,465 in pre-sales, $4,060,416 in total auction sales.

Record financial results driven by record attendance have allowed the HLSR to give a record of $24.6 million in support for the 2013 Show season. This commitment is comprised of:

• Scholarships to high school seniors, and college juniors and seniors (current show scholars, to be used for the 2013–14 school year)
    • Graduate assistantships for students at 11 different Texas universities
    • Educational program grants for a variety of organizations
    • Support for 2013 Houston Livestock Show™ junior show exhibitors

The new educational commitment adds 108 scholarships, and increases four-year scholarships from $16,000 each to $18,000.

The additional scholarships include five $18,000 scholarships for dependents of military personnel; five $8,000 technical scholarships; and 100 bonus scholarships for incoming college juniors, 50 at $16,000 each, and incoming seniors, 50 at $8,000 each, who are current Show scholars.

There are a number of ways you can assist the SAC achieve our goal:
    • Purchase a steer (approximately 100 lbs of gourmet beef)
    • Be part of a buying group:
      • Half – approximately 50 lbs
      • Quarter – approximately 25 lbs

• Cash donation, all increments are truly appreciated!

Thanks to very generous supporters, some competing youth will receive more than the minimum in college assistance and other striving students will receive support through the HLSR Scholarship Fund.

For those who purchase a steer, this year’s breakfast and auction is the final weekend of the rodeo, Saturday, March 16, 2013. Breakfast begins at 9:30 a.m., followed by the auction at noon. You’re invited to the auction breakfast with the purchase of a steer. The Grand Champion Steer can go upwards of $600k(yes, $600k) so it’s an extremely exciting event!

Thanks and please feel free to reach out to me if you're interested in this!!

Chris

This sounds great, and good cause for the kiddos. How do I make a cash donation, and what is the range?
    Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
    (AKA Evans Marine Services)
    4340 19th St.
    Bacliff, Texas 77518
    http://evansmarine.net
    http://boatwerxtx.com
    main@boatwerxtx.com
    281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Thanks Bryan for taking a look at this. It's a great cause for our youth here in Texas. The donation amounts are below:
      1) $2250 - For a full steer donation. This doesn't mean you get a live steer but you purchase the steer and get 100 lbs of beef. You can also choose not to receive the beef and you get a full $2250 tax write-off. If you choose the meat you can write $1150 off.
      2) You can go into this as a group.
      3) You can donate cash if you'd like. We have a huge amount of people who just donate $25, $50, $100 up to thousands of dollars.

Any help from the FWE members is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to PM, call, text to get in touch with me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris

Comment

Why not get a WEA group together and buy a whole steer?????????
        sigpic

Comment

That sounds awesome to me and I hope some of you guys out there would want to do that! You all can do any denomination and split the meat up however as well. The donation is $2250 and that gets you the donation plus 100lbs of Prime cut restaurant quality steaks.

Let me know if there is anyone interested in going in as a group.

Comment

Originally posted by FischerAngling View Post
            That sounds awesome to me and I hope some of you guys out there would want to do that! You all can do any denomination and split the meat up however as well. The donation is $2250 and that gets you the donation plus 100lbs of Prime cut restaurant quality steaks.

Let me know if there is anyone interested in going in as a group.
            Do you have a link to what you're talking about? So in case....we have the right place!

Originally posted by Baby Tran Cat View Post
            Why not get a WEA group together and buy a whole steer?????????
            Sounds like the makings of a good barbque! Now who around here does that kind of stuff?
            Don't be a Nancy!
            If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Here is the link to the Houston LIvestock and ROdeo Show and information on the Junior Auctions. They are junior because they sponsor the kids who raise these cattle/animals.

It's a great charity for a great cause!!

Thanks a ton for your support!

Chros

Comment

Working...
              X