New member with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bountyhunter View Post
    Yep we are all friends here, we all share our Honey Holes........
    Share away i'll stay tuned LOL!

Originally posted by plugger View Post
    Thank you all for the input. I find it helpful to say the least. About the Bastrop boat lane-like I said , never did that before and thought Ike could have filled in the boat lanes too much. Of course I was putzing along fearfully, eyes bulging out of my head, not on plane. How deep is the lane? I did not get far, perhaps the ICW approach is shallower from barge wakes? I could make out wood / shell intermittently in a broken path , but not a color change. Last Friday had the water off color. Had my GPS and zig -zagging in the lane did not help finding the deeper part.
    From the ICW into Bastrop, from the bayou, stay on the right side of the shell (if heading S) that you can see from the ICW, there are markers all the way to Xmas point, boat lane is anywhere from 2-9 feet as you get closer to Xmas. Stay about 10 yds from the markers and dont try to cross the markers unless you know where the cuts are, they mark a shallow reef that runs clear across the bay. Once you get to the point there is a channel in front of the houses that run West to East and it leads you to Mud Cut

Comment

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post
      Well then ill be expecting a PM including GPS coords for said 'honey hole' in return for my navigation advice...

You got it
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Thanks WLGORMAN. I guess I should look on the bright side if I get stranded- hopefully meet new friends and quickly, have an honest excuse for an extended fishing trip for my wife, wade fishing 4 " of water, discovering new constellations at night, sleeping in healing salt water with just my nose above water to avoid insect vampires, seaching my inner self for the answer to " how on earth did people survive before electricity and what occupied their time ".
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

OK, one last Bastrop question I promise maybe , sortof. On google and GPS there are 2 boat lanes, one North and one a little farther South off the ICW. I tried the most Southern one off the ICW. Perhaps the more northerly one is better?.
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

LOL just dont do like me and run through a shallow cut to get to a deeper back marsh...forget the tide is going out WAY low and spend most of the night waiting for the tide to come back in so you can go home. Wife never has believed that story, but luckily I had the trusty thermacell for about 2 hrs until my butane ran out then I became a stationary mosquito buffet.

Comment

OK, one last Bastrop question I promise maybe , sortof. On google and GPS there are 2 boat lanes, one North and one a little farther South off the ICW. I tried the most Southern one off the ICW. Perhaps the more northerly one is better?.
              I just looked and bummer, google earth just updated the photo with a way sorrier quality of that area...

They are both good, the southern most cut, stay on the left of the markers and head straight for the badass bayhouse in the middle of the bay on the big shell island (also right next to gas well platform). I've never tried to go past that house on southernmost one, I always cut right and jump on the other one down to xmas pt then go to xmas or turn left into mud cut lane. The northernmost is better marked.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                I'll be waiting for a PM with an invite to go fish said honey hole.
                All you gotta do is call or text anytime man I usually go out by myself b/c none of my friends can hang...I go every wkend in the boat sometimes both days and usually get a wade or two in after work during the week.

Comment

Fishing

Thanks. Heck, I'm gonna fish somewhere on Saturday. I usually prefer Friday if the weather is right , but I have to take my EXPLORER in to fix the PSI gage AGAIN on Friday. I was going to maybe wade the ship channel with a SW wind , then kayak somewhere- got to wait to see what the lying forecasters say. If you want a mate on Saturday, give me a shout. I usually fish one day a week, so I make the best of it and fish from sunup to sundown- it would be punishment if you did not love being in the brine like I do. But since you are the captain, the hours are your's to say. I can hang tough even though I'm soon 60 and gained alot of weight. I just love the saltwater environment , the fishing, everything about it that fresh water can't touch. You can reach me here, or home , 713-952-2123. HENRY B. BOWMAN, D.D.S. Most call me DOC or HENRY. I'm a dentist in GREENWAY PLAZA. I'll buy gas anytime like I do for my other pardners when using their boat. It's just right.

Comment

By the way, I contacted SHORELINE PUBLISHING, the people who do the laminated aerial photos of the bays you see at FTU, Academy, and they said they will have updated photos of SLP in September. They said they would contact me when available. They would , I suspect, also have updated photos of all the bays. I want to see East Bay. I like fishing there, all undeveloped shores, natural, no seados roaring around.

Comment

Thanks. Heck, I'm gonna fish somewhere on Saturday. I usually prefer Friday if the weather is right , but I have to take my EXPLORER in to fix the PSI gage AGAIN on Friday. I was going to maybe wade the ship channel with a SW wind , then kayak somewhere- got to wait to see what the lying forecasters say. If you want a mate on Saturday, give me a shout. I usually fish one day a week, so I make the best of it and fish from sunup to sundown- it would be punishment if you did not love being in the brine like I do. But since you are the captain, the hours are your's to say. I can hang tough even though I'm soon 60 and gained alot of weight. I just love the saltwater environment , the fishing, everything about it that fresh water can't touch. You can reach me here, or home , 713-952-2123. HENRY B. BOWMAN, D.D.S. Most call me DOC or HENRY. I'm a dentist in GREENWAY PLAZA. I'll buy gas anytime like I do for my other pardners when using their boat. It's just right.
                      Ill call you or pm you if I head out, but let me assure you, its not ME that cant handle being out sunup to sundown, or sundown to sunup for that matter. I've done more than my fair share of that and still running strong...its the WIFE that has a problem with it...

Comment

OK, let me know. Yeah, I get in maybe more than one day a week , but usually the one for the same reason. That's why I make the most of it and stay so long. Hey, you know Sandy. Read my post to him as a comment to his bayou and boat situation on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                        X