468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When the reds have got their noses down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the reds have got their noses down!

Yesterday afternoon was fishing west bay south shoreline in a back lake. We found a pod of reds (15-20) in a few inches of water and they seemed to be rooting in the mud but their tails were not out of the water. Hooked one on a paddle tail and thought it would be easy to pull more out of the school but they did not take a single bait and we threw all kinds of lures at them. We were not entered in the tournament. What do y'all throw when they are locked in and feeding like that? After filleting both him and a 18" flounder i caught, we found they were both full of little crabs and shrimp. Any lures that imitate small crabs and shrimp?

Russ

I hate using them myself, but Gulps come in handy when they get on a skiddish bite like that. They can be finicky...want something with noise one minute, then something more stealthy the next. Something moving, then something laying on the bottom. With the gulps, you can just throw it up there and let it sit and scent...they'll nose it up eventually....well, then again, maybe not!
    That's all I know...and I just made half of it up!
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Gulp has peeler crabs. I've heard they work for reds, but I wouldn't know since I've never caught one.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I have found that reds can get reel bait shy when muddled down in shallow water. The dark baits that work so well in murky water can be too dark in the super shallows. Tricks that have worked for me include going to a lighter color or smaller profile paddle tail. Last time I had that happen to me, I switched to a Buggs lure/fly feather thing. It hits the water with a little less 'plop' and looks all feathery when in the water. That smaller profile/featheriness did the trick.
        "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Also...never over look the flash appeal of a spinner!
          Don't be a Nancy!
          If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Thanks guys! I was thinking about trying a DOA but didnt have any in the boat at the time.

Russ

Comment

Absolutely a Bugg. Its my go-to for sightcasting and situations when they are being finicky and want something very specific.

Comment

great topic and replies!
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

When the reds have got their noses down!

Ms Addicted knows a lot about this topic. Lol if she says Buggs then by god Buggs it is. This chick is on a redfish roll lol. Pay attention when the Barlow's talk redfish if you want to learn.
                  We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I've been in the same spot with the same results. Looks like some good ideas. I kinda favor the gulp trick.
                    "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

X2 on the gulp. They are searching with their noses as much as their eyes. I would tie on a jig head/small gulp and attach a 6"-8" trailer leader with a saltwater fly (crab imitation). Dip the fly in the gulp juice occasionally toss them out there and twitch sparingly. It's a Florida trick for catching reds on the flats and since I keep my flies in my boat all the time anyhow, it's not a big hassle to add the fly on. Just saying.....
                      Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
                      "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Sounds like the first fish started drumming putting the others into survival mode. Many times they wont eat once this occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogie70 View Post
                          Ms Addicted knows a lot about this topic. Lol if she says Buggs then by god Buggs it is. This chick is on a redfish roll lol. Pay attention when the Barlow's talk redfish if you want to learn.
                          xInfinity

Comment

Originally posted by Hogie70 View Post
                            Well said.
                            Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

If I'm in that situation ill throw my fly, it's amazing what a red will eat when rooting around. I've casted everything at reds cruising shorelines or waving that blue tail up in the air and didn't even get a taste, they just look and go along their way, but for some reason casting that pink fly they will devour it. Oh and I agree with gulp. Fo sho' if appearance doesn't work, sent does.
                              Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.
                              John Wayne.

Comment

Working...
                              X