Brake Line help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Line help!!

I'm working with brass fittings and a plastic brake line for my Gator-Tail... replacing a broken brake line. Sent me a new brake line with so fittings just reusing the old ones....

Trying to put the new hose on got the old fittings off but do I need some sort of tool in order to push the new hose into this fitting? the old one came out with maybe 1/16" of hose out the end... I can't push it up in there.

I've started to wonder if this is some sort of brake tool / fitting that actually crimps down and is forced onto the end of the brake line hose. AutoZone opens at 7:30AM so be there when they open but maybe yall can shed some light...

Here's a picture of the parts I'm working with... The hose goes in the big end of the "nipple" fitting and of course the nut goes over the fitting and tightens to the brake system.
    Attached Files
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
    I'm working with brass fittings and a plastic brake line for my Gator-Tail... replacing a broken brake line. Sent me a new brake line with so fittings just reusing the old ones....

Trying to put the new hose on got the old fittings off but do I need some sort of tool in order to push the new hose into this fitting? the old one came out with maybe 1/16" of hose out the end... I can't push it up in there.

I've started to wonder if this is some sort of brake tool / fitting that actually crimps down and is forced onto the end of the brake line hose. AutoZone opens at 7:30AM so be there when they open but maybe yall can shed some light...

Here's a picture of the parts I'm working with... The hose goes in the big end of the "nipple" fitting and of course the nut goes over the fitting and tightens to the brake system.
    Those are compression fittings Coe. The old one was crimped to your old line. You'll want to put new ones on. AutoZone will have them.
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Thanks Mike! Can I get some different fittings? or should I go back with compression? Am I going to need to buy a tool to crimp them again?

Comment

When you tighten down the fitting with the ferrel inside, it crimps itself down.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
          When you tighten down the fitting with the ferrel inside, it crimps itself down.
          Thanks for the help Mike! Are they all the same size or do I need to bring the hose in for a test fit? Also when I put the hose in for the first time how far should I push the hose up the new compression fitting?

Comment

Looks like I need the Hat Type Ferrule, thanks for giving me the name of the part Mike. 1/8" I'm thinking...

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
              Thanks for the help Mike! Are they all the same size or do I need to bring the hose in for a test fit? Also when I put the hose in for the first time how far should I push the hose up the new compression fitting?
              Go ahead and take the hose with you just to make sure and put it in until it stops.(It will actually stop itself)

Comment

Dang, you're the first person I've ever known that had brakes on your boat! 007 needs that feature too.
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                  Dang, you're the first person I've ever known that had brakes on your boat! 007 needs that feature too.
                  007 needs bow thrusters.

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                    Its an interesting system Sandy...

Its a brake that applies pressure to the fly wheel that engages the reverse basically makes the output drive spin the other direction!

Comment

You did know I was kidding right?

It is a cool system. Before I saw yours, I had never seen a Go-Devil type with reverse.
                      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                        007 needs bow thrusters.
                        sit down time out dont touch nothing! "I got it dude"
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Working...
                        X