help with fish ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with fish ID

Due to high tides and strong north wind I put up the kayak and fly rod and got out my winch and broom stick. Started at dawn with a bone super spook jr. Got a hit and set the hook. started with a little fight and I immediately thought I had a rat red or a small trout. Fight lasted about 10 seconds and then felt a big jerk. Then reeled in without any resistance. Photo tells the story. Whatever I had on was bitten off behind the head. Must have been bitten off by a shark. I thought at the time it was a hardhead. I took these photos and then threw the head back in. Later I realized from the photos that it wasn't a catfish. The lips look like a sucker fish of some kind and it didn't have sticker fins. This fish incident happened in GISP. ?????????

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	574456

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1656.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	574457

Looks like a catfish to me!

Russ

Comment

Hardhead catfish.
      West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Thats no hardhead, Looks like a carp of some sort,sure has a lot of lip,like a sucker fish! no telling what it is!
        West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Call me crazy but on second opinion it kind of looks like a Red Tailed Catfish that is native to the Amazon but commonly kept in aquariums. I may be crazy but it kind of looks like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ757 View Post
            Call me crazy but on second opinion it kind of looks like a Red Tailed Catfish that is native to the Amazon but commonly kept in aquariums. I may be crazy but it kind of looks like that.
            Some kind of catfish

Russ, looking at the second pic, I can see why you thought of a Red Tailed Cat.

Comment

Looks 100% like a hardhead to me. Same lips as always . . . . and I'm a dead scrimp chunker so I catch them ALL the time.
              From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Big hardhead. Same lips as always

Comment

Hardhead that just got his *** chewed by a shark...I bet your looks would change too if that happened to you!
                  Don't be a Nancy!
                  If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

All I can see is the slicks popping up in the background....

Comment

help with fish ID

That's a tourist trout.
                      Hard head I recognize those lips anywhere

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                      May your rod never go limp

Comment

+1 on the Hardhead

Comment

Gafftop or hardhead..

Comment

Working...