Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange question with a sentimental back story from a newbie

Ok so here is the back story,
    I grew up in Southern California and always wanted to go diving with my dad, however my fear of sharks paralyzed me as a young boy. When I was 8 years old my father took me surf fishing and he caught a tiny little black tip shark. my dad explained to me that if I would be the one to gently release the baby shark, it would forever protect me from all other sharks in the ocean. I know........ ridiculous, but I believed him and I have enjoyed diving in several different countries since then.
    I take my family on trips all the time and it is generally to a location that has diving. I cant even get my son to snorkel in shallow waters. On our recent vacation I had a small blow up raft for him to lay in and a mask and snorkel on him so he could dunk his head and see the beauty of the world down there.

Here is my question..........
    I plan on taking a trip down to Galveston this coming weekend on a partial business partial pleasure quick trip. Can anyone give me tips on the best location and bait to increase my chances of catching a small shark so I can hopefully get my son to release it and overcome his fears? We are going back to the bahamas next month and I really want to get him in the water.

Any help would be appreciated

Strange question with a sentimental back story from a newbie

The beach is full of em right now. Use cut whiting or mullet on a steel leader and I bet you can fix him up.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Thanks for the tip, any particular areas of the beaches? I'm not extremely familiar with Galveston so I don't want to cut in on any of the local guys spots and get in anyones way.

Comment

Originally posted by nick9050 View Post
        Thanks for the tip, any particular areas of the beaches? I'm not extremely familiar with Galveston so I don't want to cut in on any of the local guys spots and get in anyones way.
        Easy.
        Find an open spot anywhere along the beach or off of one of the small jetty along the seawall in Galveston.
        Toss out a bloody chunk of cut mullet. Wait. Mr.Shark will be along directly.
        Don't worry about getting in anyone's way. Use common sense.

You can drive onto the beach down on the far west end of Galveston Island by the bridge at San Luis Pass.
        One word of caution here: The current/tide movement at San Luis Pass is VERY strong. Be aware of this.
        West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Book a trip with reeltime he specializes in catching them in my boat!!
          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Strange question with a sentimental back story from a newbie

All fair game on the beach. The further west the less crowded on the weekends.
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
              All fair game on the beach. The further west the less crowded on the weekends.

Everyone has been a ton of help... thanks to all

Comment

Working...
              X