No announcement yet.

Bonefish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pound for pound, they are overall the most powerful fish that I have ever caught. All you can do is set the drag down as tight as you are comfortable with and then watch the line zing off the reel. This bone had as much power as any 30 pound tarpon that I have hooked.

And - talk about breath-taking. On its first run, this one ran about 100 feet into my backing, then turned a 180 and ran directly back at me at full speed. I am cranking as fast as I can, watching slack line. Then - about 50 feet out, he does another 180, I watch the slack suddenly disappear, and he takes it all back from me.

I would have liked to have gotten better photos, but he was really whipped when I got him in, so I had to rush. I spent a good 5 minutes reviving him. In the end, though, he swam away like the king of the flats that he is.
    Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
    and
    Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      It is a little bit larger than the average bone here. I have seen one that was 34 inches, 15 pounds - but it was a totally unworthy catch. The guy caught it bottom fishing with cut bait while eating dinner - not even minding his rod. He was about 50 feet from his fishing rod when the bone took the bait.
      HA ! YEP , I'LL READ SOMEWHERE ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR ABOUT SWEET LITTLE 7 YEAR OLD LUCY TOO CUTE FROM OKLAHOMA VISITING HER PA-PA IN GALVESTON . HER PA-PA TAKES HER FISHING FOR THE FIRST TIME AND SHE LANDS A 8 POUND TROUT WITH HER DANG BARBIE ROD AND REEL AND SHRIMP UNDER A POPPING CORK .
      I READ THAT KIND OF THING MORE THAN I WOULD LIKE . IT'S NOT FAIR ! .........GRIND AWAY FOR YEARS WITH EXPENSIVE EQUIPEMENT , BOAT , KAYAK , PAYING FOR GAS , INSURANCE , LURES , LOOSING SLEEP AND RISKING DIVORCE ONLY TO READ IN THE GALVESTON DAILEY NEWS ABOUT DARLING LUCY . IT'S ENOUGH TO MAKE ONE GRIND THEIR TEETH , POP AN ARTERY IN YOUR BRAIN AND BLEED FROM YOUR EYEBALLS .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
      X