A Fish Out Of Water......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fish Out Of Water......

....and that's exactly how I felt yesterday morning fishing in Port O'Connor. The Mrs. and I went down Wednesday after lunch to spend New Years with some great friends. We planned on being back home today after lunch and we were.
    I decided to not take my fishing gear and to just relax and visit with my friends. As soon as we arrived another friend decided that I HAD to go fishing with her husband the next morning, so my buddy Johnny precedes to show me his two sets of waders. One was a pair of heavy boofooted neoprenes and the other some light breathable Frog Toggs, and both pair had been found in the road in POC!

Than it was on to which rod and reel I would use. The pick of the litter was a green Curado missing the cast control knob and more than a few cleanings on a 7' rod of unknown origin. My buddies helper brought by two boxes of tackle and some pliers. The tackle was so rusted I wasn't sure what some of the lures even were!

ANYWAY...... yesterday I met up with the fellow I was fishing with, and he had the boots I was to wear. They were low reef boots but really to small. I struggled at the dock to get them on, and as we headed out I was wishing I had just said "No I'm just not fishing. Take me back to the dock".
    Luckily after I was into the first wade, my feet were so numb that it felt like I was walking on fence posts.
    I had one small jig and two or thee cocaho minnows to fish with. It was supposed to warm up and the sun come out but of course that didn't happen. It's funny how you take for granted your own gear until you're using borrowed everything and flailing around with monofilament.
    I ended up catching three 18-20" trout for my efforts......and that was a miracle!
    Last edited by kenny; January 1, 2010, 06:19 PM.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Tis the season for miracles !!
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I'm sure you took it like a sport and made your friend feel good about it right? At least you scratched some fish out of it. Hope your feet didn't sustain any permanent damage Happy New Year!
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Kenny!!! what were you thinking!!LOL
        we like our toys!!!!!!happy new year to and the mrs..
        Captain Glenn Stevens
        Coastal Guide Service
        www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

I bet you don't leave home without your gear again planning on fishing or not!! Glad you had fun
          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Kenny....You know better than to go anywhere without your basic gear!
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by imhammer View Post
              Kenny....You know better than to go anywhere without your basic gear!
              I fish a lot so I thought a rest for a day would be nice, besides in the winter the "basic gear" is a lot!
              Interestingly, everyone in POC I talked to said the fishing has been super slow with few trout caught...
              "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                I bet you don't leave home without your gear again planning on fishing or not!!

Damn newb, when will he ever learn?
                Don't be a Nancy!
                If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Hey Kenny,

Least you were not throwing live bait on a popping cork.

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                    Hey Kenny,

Least you were not throwing live bait on a popping cork.
                    That isn't gonna happen.
                    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

And just what is wrong with natural bait or popping corks? (He said in a snide tone of voice.)

Kenny, I thought you were going to talk about fishing a new area, one that you don't have years of experience with. That can be just as tough as not having your own gear. You didn't mention that the waders leaked. That at least, was a blessing.
                      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

at least you caught a few.worth the trouble i guess.
                        Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Working...
                        X