Surf and West Bay Report - 6/5-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf and West Bay Report - 6/5-6

Me and a buddy made the run down to Jamaica Beach to fish the surf Friday evening... it wasn't as calm as that morning looked but we managed to pick up 2 nice trout on top waters. Threw an ugly Super Spook... black and silver with an orange belly. Been in my tackle box for years. Caught both trout right at 8p. Bait was everywhere.

Woke up Saturday morning and decided to hit West Bay. Started with Super Spook Jr's...pink colored. One 19" red on top. Switched to 4" Chicken Boy Shrimp lure... Chicken on a Chain with a 1/4 oz jig head (the tide was ripping). Caught 2 nice specs right at 25"...both weighed around 5lbs. 1 undersized red and finished with an 18"flounder.

Things I learned... 1. Surf fishing is addicting... even though we didn't slay them, it was awesome standing there slinging a top water as the sun set. To catch 2 quality trout was a success in my book. 2. If fishing top waters in the morning in pure conditions... don't be afraid to change to plastics if there isn't any action...I bet we would have caught more trout had we not fished top waters for 3 hours. As soon as we switched to plastics we caught the trout... Bam, Bam. Then the flounder. 3. When wade fishing, don't rely on your Power Pole as your anchor. We waded for 4 hours and looked up to see the boat a half a mile from where we parked it. Had the wind been stronger, we would have been in trouble. Made for an interesting walk back to the boat... Pro tip...always throw out the anchor.

All in all, a great time on the coast!

- FP
    Attached Files

Can't figure out how to rotate the pictures... Hope someone can help.

Comment

The trout is a beast, wtg!!! Great report thanks.
      "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

Nice reports and that's one Big trout.
        As far as rotating your pictures. Preview your post before you submit it.
        You can always delete it from your post and go back to your files and rotate it there if it
        shows wrong in the Preview. Then check it again till you get it right.

Comment

Nice Spec!

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Nice trout!!!!
            Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Nice going! JB is a great place for the surf.
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
              X