tarpon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tarpon

So what's the story with locating and fishing for them? I know they aren't in the bay like they used to be when I was young and hearing awesome tales, but I hear you can still catch em around the Freeport area?
    I've never fished for them or anything else that big so, I'm not sure what to use and I still need to get a big rod and reel, I reckon what they call a boat rod?
    Green grass and high tides forever
    Mike Mathena

Once in a while you might catch one at the jetties. Most guides go nearshore and drift with bait or lures. Don't have a clue as to where that would be. Probably around some sort of bottom change. You might book a trip with a guide on here, Glen Stevens and that could enlighten you some. Good luck!

Comment

The water needs to be clear and somewhat flat-about 1 mile offshore in about 30-40' of water, drift whole shad on a circle hook under a balloon-use heavy rod and like a TLD 20 or 25 with 40-60# test and an 80# leader. you'll catch a lotta sharks. Look for tarpon schools rolling on the surface. I've hooked 5 in Texas-one at the causeway in 1980s on a small live shrimp under a popping cork, 17# leader, #6 treble-had her on for about 5 minutes before line line cut on I-45 pilings-about a 5-6'er likely around 100-130#s. saw one in Dickinson bay in 80s and hooked 4, landed 2 on castaway trout rod, 12# test, 20# leader on croaker hook at POC Jetties using large white shrimp tossed into rolling school. Woulda had 4 landed but wanted my buddy to experience catching one-he thumbed my chronarch twice and 'pow' both times, then the current changed and the school was gone in an instant.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

a mile ain't too bad. I believe that's about how far the Galveston jetties go out. I'm planning on taking the boat out to the jetties pretty soon, I might troll around out there if the conditions are right just to get a feel for the open water.
        I don't have any interest in having a shark on the boat, what is the proper method of releasing them? Just cut the line a couple feet from the sharks mouth when it gets to the boat? And what about landing the tarpon, how crazy do they get trying to get the hook out of their mouth lol
        Mike Mathena

Comment

IMO, you're wasting your time fishing for tarpon and especially shark. You can bet your azz, if I hook a shark and get it close enough to identify it I'm cutting the line long before it makes it to my boat. Even a little one. There are those who fish exclusively for sharks. My hat and fingers off to them. Lol. I really need to get back to my what's really happening in the world today, Morning Mika, errr, Joe. Nicole Wallace is a guest this morning and I always get a laugh listening to her opinions on current events. Lmfao.
          Last edited by H.Maier; July 14, 2015, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grown in Tx View Post
            a mile ain't too bad. I believe that's about how far the Galveston jetties go out. I'm planning on taking the boat out to the jetties pretty soon, I might troll around out there if the conditions are right just to get a feel for the open water.
            I don't have any interest in having a shark on the boat, what is the proper method of releasing them? Just cut the line a couple feet from the sharks mouth when it gets to the boat? And what about landing the tarpon, how crazy do they get trying to get the hook out of their mouth lol
            I have never specifically targeted tarpon (except in 3rd world countries). I'm sure it is boring and a long day drifting.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Last October we went out of the Galveston jetties and went Northeast about 20 miles until we found them. We jumped 10 and landed 4 that morning. All were in the 150 to 175 class. Gotta have a flat day so that you can see them feeding. 5 came from the trolling lines and 5 were caught while sight casting. It will wear you out.

Comment

like I said I used to hear stories 20+ years ago and I've wanted to try it. But I ain't going that far to find them, I have a hard enough time locating trout and redfish in the bay lol.
                I wonder what the snook and tarpon know that the rest of the game fish don't.. Seems weird they just chunked a deuce to the G bay system and never looked back.
                Mike Mathena

Comment

Originally posted by grown in Tx View Post
                  like I said I used to hear stories 20+ years ago and I've wanted to try it. But I ain't going that far to find them, I have a hard enough time locating trout and redfish in the bay lol.
                  I wonder what the snook and tarpon know that the rest of the game fish don't.. Seems weird they just chunked a deuce to the G bay system and never looked back.
                  They are in the bay-just only for a short time-like I said I hooked a 5-6' tarpon under the causeway back in the early 80s. My neighbor's hooked small ones and someone on here caught one in Chocolate even though we all know there are no fish in Chocolate bay.

Comment

Fishing off the Wharf Cat in Port Aransas , Fathersday sometime maybe 1980ish with dad, drifting ribbon fish, It jumped a couple of times, the last one I saw the huge splash, dad saw the entire thing, it took me to the end of the boat and I had everybodys line wrapped in mine, brought back a straightend hook, I still have that leader today, hanging , as a memory of a great trip with dad and
                    the big one that got away, Not sure if I will ever get another chance, but I atleast had that one.

Comment

Originally posted by planohog View Post
                      Fishing off the Wharf Cat in Port Aransas , Fathersday sometime maybe 1980ish with dad, drifting ribbon fish, It jumped a couple of times, the last one I saw the huge splash, dad saw the entire thing, it took me to the end of the boat and I had everybodys line wrapped in mine, brought back a straightend hook, I still have that leader today, hanging , as a memory of a great trip with dad and
                      the big one that got away, Not sure if I will ever get another chance, but I atleast had that one.
                      That's awesome
                      Mike Mathena

Comment

Originally posted by planohog View Post
                        That's awesome
                        Mike Mathena

Comment

Working...
                        X